Thursday, April 5, 2012


What once was lost, now is found

A few years ago, in 2009, I went on my first, and only to this point, cruise with a bunch of Harley friends. Some were long-standing friends, some not as long but still dear, and some were new friends I met onboard. They were friends of others and had met at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally some years ago.

It was a motley crew at best, and every night was party night in the "Rat Bastard's" cabin.  It was a great group, and we had a blast.  Seven days wasn't enough with this bunch.  Good thing some of them live in Anchorage so I can see them often.  Others are in Washington state and Germany.  I will see them again.
The cruise was delightful, and my stateroom mate, the Purple Haze, and I had a great time. We did lots of excursions, ate wonderful food and experienced new ones, swam with sting rays and dolphins, wandered around the ship and had coffee of a morning on our balcony.

The Purple Haze and I visited a cave where we had to wear shower-type hats because of the bats.
In order to go on the cruise, I needed a passport. That wasn't an issue since I'd gotten one in 2006 in preparation for going on a motorcycle trip to Canada. But that became a problem since I couldn't find it. I searched and searched, the bike, my purses, and I tore the house apart looking for it. It was gone. I knew I hadn't lost it and figured I'd put it in a safe place, like some other things I can't find.

As the time drew nearer and the passport was still missing in action, my only alternative was to get a replacement. Off to the post office I went with my checkbook and new paperwork. The photo this time was no better than the original. If anything, it was probably worse. Oh well. I needed the passport as it was the key to getting on the Royal Carribbean ship and cruising to Haiti, Mexico, the Grand Caymans.

On the ship; nothing but sunshine.  It was wonderful.
Jumping into the future, March 2012, Hobbs comes in the house and asks what is my stuff doing in his truck. I'm thinking it's the driver's license I've been missing for several days. So out to the truck we go as I'm leaving to go to zumba. It was not my driver's license so I was disappointed. But much to my surprise it was the passport I'd misplaced. I'd put it into the glove box of his truck.

But now this one is of no use to me.
As I remember now, we went down to the social security office as I was nearing 62 because I wanted to get a card with my maiden name on it, not the last married name I'd had. I'd also taken copies of a divorce decree, but I hadn't been missing that since it was from the early 90s, and old news. We must have decided to go to lunch or something so I put them in the glove box and forgot about them. How 'bout that. What once was lost now is found. Of course, I'm still missing a driver's license. It's always something.

No comments:

Post a Comment