Saturday, September 1, 2012


To the fair, to the fair

Hobbs and I went to the fair on Wednesday (Aug. 29). It was a great day for a lot of reasons … it was a beautiful day, we got to ride and being old farts, we got in for $7 … for both of us. It was senior day (who knew), or buddy day. Don't know which one let us in on the cheap, but it worked for us. All I knew is that it left us with money to purchase fair food.

As we walked in, Hobbs noticed the “slingshot” and said he'd always wanted to ride it. Not me. It was one of those things that did not appeal to me … who knew. One side could get loose and you could be catapulted into the wild, blue yonder. Not me, not me. But I did encourage him to take a ride … why not? It's not like we're going to die young!

120 foot towers, 0-60 mph in a single second, and 4 Gs of acceleration.  I should have read this sign.
We wandered over and turns out it was buddy day, two for the price of one. The guy said I should go, and I told him, no, I don't have a desire to do this ride. We looked around, but there was no one else even near us. Drat!!! I had to go … I hate passing up a good deal.

All harnessed up and ready to fly.
They strapped us in, harnessed us up, and told us to keep our heads on the backrests/neckrests or whatever those things are. And then they started tightening up the rubber bands that hold the slingshot in place, and all of a sudden we were let go. Flying, freefalling. I couldn't look and kept my eyes shut and just screamed and screamed and screamed. Like a girl. Well, duh, I am a girl!!! And then I laughed and screamed some more, but I never opened my eyes.

I'm screaming and he's grinning.  And we're flying.
I didn't hear anything from next to me and didn't know if Hobbs had been sent to be the next man on the moon, or if he was still strapped in. Up and down, up and down. Finally I opened my eyes, and he was still there, smiling. And his eyes were open. He later told me they weren't open most of the time.

Survived.
It was fun, but I'm more the type to like roller coasters for my freefalling experience and negative Gs.

Even Smokey made an appearance.

The Apollo ride.  Another one I don't need to do.

Ferris wheels are just cool.
From the ride, everything else was great and fun.

Entertainment galore at the fair ... at all times of the day, makes time fly quickly.
We wandered through the aisles, snacking on fair food …

Love corn dogs.

I so get into my food.  Even looking at this mustard now makes my mouth water.

And a berry cream puff to top off all the other junk fair food I ate.
We wandered up and down looking at things, and then we wandered into the livestock area. It's one of my favorites … cows, pigs, sheep. I so enjoy seeing them. There were also some special types of chickens I don't remember seeing … with curly feathers that reminded me of the boas ladies used to wear.

Chickens can be so colorful to photograph.
A true hog ... smiling.
On our way out Hobbs stopped to talk to an old vet ... he stops to talk to most of them and shakes their hands.

Saw an old friend, Lewis, and visited with him while we watched others do the slingshot.  It's always such a pleasure to see Lewis.

These little guys are so cute.
It was a great day … fair day.


No comments:

Post a Comment