Wednesday, October 3, 2012


The end is here …

Yesterday I rode in the rain, the day before I rode in the rain, the day before that I rode in the rain. It seems like the entire month of September I rode in the rain, not to mention what was likely the whole summer in Anchorage being rainy and generally crappy weather.

Even so, there were some beautiful moments … swans, fall foliage, Beluga whales, trains.

There were also some ugly moments … rivers and creeks overflowing, houses washed away by the flooding.

Let's wander over to the next pond, everyone together, look left.
The Matanuska River ... the water is high from all the rain.
I walked down a trail across from the Eklutna Power Plant, off the Glenn Highway, and found this skiff tied up to a tree.  The water is high everywhere.

Near the Eklutna Power Plant.
On the Old Glenn Highway.
Further north outside of Palmer, the fall colors just get more beautiful the further north you go.
I've passed this vehicle many times over the summer, and have wanted to stop to take a picture. 
Part of a house lays in the river, apparently washed away from a half mile or so up where there are remnants of what appears to be a house and other things that make a home.
It was a beautiful day up north.  That wasn't today.
And then this rubber raft showed up on the other side of the river, locked in place by part of a tree.
Memorials fascinate me, and this one is along the highway past Sutton.
At the bottom of the flag pole is what I would call a memorial to a fallen warrior.
Another memorial at the end of (I believe) Long Lake.  Interestingly, I don't know that I'd noticed this before as it's across a small pond in amongst the trees.

Near Potter Marsh there were a lot of trees down from a recent wind storm.  Many trees are down around town, but these were easy to get to and not along a main road where I could be a cage target.

The Alaska Railroad trains are heartstopping, the rumble and when you can get it, the whistle of the train as it passes by.  We often get them to whistle by pumping our fists and arms in the air. 
Yet today (September 29), I find myself wishing for rain to ride in. I got up, looked on my Iphone at the weather and saw that it said snow in Anchorage. I looked outside. Yep … SNOW!!! Now that's what I call ugly. Will it melt so we can ride a few more days? Who knows. It's snowing again.
 
It did quit, the snow melted and we got to ride some more … in the rain!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment