Friday, July 5, 2013

Running the highway

Running the highway

And this is why I call my crazy Sun City friends the "Peeps!"

This is what Harlow looks like now that I've added the reach seat, passenger backrest and luggage rack.  Much more comfortable and can carry things in a different way.

I hooked up my redneck GPS and in going into Dallas/Fort Worth area it got me right where I needed to be, right up until I ran into a parking lot and a street issue.  But I did find Garland and the Harley shop.
I just rode … Tuesday (June 25) … stayed at a true roach motel in Sorocco, NM, Wednesday at a Holiday Inn Express (so I can now do motorcycle maintenance, or at the very least windshield cleaning), and Thursday I arrived at JGayle's in Mesquite, Texas. Actually we met at Dallas HD in Garland as they were going to fix the weeping clutch issue.

They grow 'em big in Texas. 
I was tired, so we had a bite to eat, talked, went to Jgayle's house, talked, talked and talked. That was all we wanted to do … talk.

On Friday, we started getting a bit active. Jgayle had a manicure; I had a pedicure. Oh boy, it was wonderful.
This was so wonderful, and now I've got great looking toes, too.
And we did a little shopping. We had to have hats because on Saturday we were going to the horse races at Lone Star Park. Hats are proper attire for horse races. We finally settled on our hats, after trying on what seemed to be every pair of shoes they had at DSW (a shoe warehouse) … a brown straw with a blue band for me, and an orange straw with a brown band for Jgayle. It was a tiring experience getting just the right look. And of course, I came out with a pair of boots and a pair of sandals, as the boots would complement my horse racing outfit.

I don't know where I'll wear these, but I love them. 
Saturday dawned bright and sunny. It would be a glorious day at the races. We set out and timed our arrival at about post time, 1:30-ish. The first two races had happened, and after getting a little bit of the lay of the land, track and food concessions, I decided to place a bet. My way of betting consisted of jockey colors, yellow and black (the colors of Princess Bee-a-trix). I waited in line to place my $2 bet. Wouldn't you know it, post time and it was too late. The lady who was taking money somehow didn't have change for the $20 the guy ahead of me had given her. I watched her go and come back three times before getting it right. But too late for me. Oh well, that horse didn't win.

We were up in the second story of the glassed in section for part of the time.  It was nice.
I had a few of these.
How 'bout them hats?  Perfect racetrack attire.
I decided to bet the colors again in Race 4, and won … $3.60 for my $2 bet to show. Yahoo, I was on a roll. And I won again in the fifth race. Bet the colors, baby!!!

We wandered around and decided to hit the buffet in the fancy section … getting a table with a television screen as well as a view from up above of the track. This place had a lady come around who would not only take your bets, but would give you your winnings, if you were so lucky. I was not … at least for a few races. Then I couldn't resist the jockey with the flames on his sleeve … loser!!! Expect Royalty … oh yeah, a winner. All of $6 on my $5 bet. Can you tell I don't bet much?

Oh yeah, bring it.  The buffet was excellent.
I was in position at the rail to watch my horse win ... and pay me some serious money ... or not!  
We went down near the track because the last race we were going to stay for, I found the perfect horse and wanted to be in position for a photo op when she won … Peppermint Bling. I bet $5 straight across … $5 to win, $5 to place, $5 to show. They were off. It was so exciting. I had real money on this one.
Peppermint Bling.  What a lady.

A truck moved the starting gate into position.  My girl would start in the No. 7 gate.
And they're off!!
Peppermint Bling was going 'round the track, not in the lead, but in a position to make me some money. Go, baby, go. Whoops. She dropped back, and back further, and further and further. She didn't finish last … but she wasn't far from it.


It was still fun to watch.
Oh well. Great entertainment, great food, great company. I had a blast yelling for my horses, no matter the size of the bet. It was all good fun.

But I still got to ride home in JGayle's fancy Cadillac.  A very nice ride.

 
The home of the Texas Rangers.  Oh yeah.  We're in.

This is at the ballpark.  I can't resist these ads.
On Sunday, we had another busy day planned, first lunch at a Red Lobster, one of my favorites, and a baseball game. Again the Cincinnati Reds, but this time versus the Texas Rangers. Game time was 2:05 p.m. We got there just as the game was starting. Another great day, with a hot dog on my horizon.

I always have such a great time with my friends.  Yep, we are like sisters, 'cept different parents.  .
It was great seating for us, just on the edge of the sun line, so we never were in direct sun as the mezzanine above us kept us safe. We had row 27, on the third base line. Perfect seats to see everything, including Nolan Ryan and his wife, owner (or at least part owner).  I'd seen Ryan pitch at my first professional baseball game, California Angels versus the Texas Rangers, Ryan pitching for the Angels, and a win. Yes, a wonderful game that one, making me an Angel fan forever, or at least until they won a World Series.

Ryan is the third from the left, blue shirt and red hat.  His wife is in the white hat.
The game progressed, with no one scoring. There were some opportunities, with base hits, a steal or so. Finally, the Rangers scored. And it went downhill once again for the Reds.

A lot of pitches were in the 90-plus mph range.
Yep, doom to the Reds.
People find interesting ways to stave off the heat.

No caption necessary.
The Reds should just stay home when I show up to a game. It took some time, but the Rangers beat them … 3-2. And I didn't get my hot dog. I'd eaten a lunch fit for a queen … and must have overdone it because I just couldn't hold a hot dog. And they had some awesome ones … including a 24, which is two feet of hot dog … complete with bun and any number of condiments. Oh well. Next time.

Yep, measure it, 24-inches long.  Could I eat one of these by myself?  Maybe!!
Onions, you name it, there was any condiment or topping you could possibly want.
And there were these cute little tables you could use for eating, but I don't think one of those hot dogs would fit on it.
And then as quickly as it came, my visit with Jgayle was over. And Monday, July 1, I was back on the road, to meet up with Hobbs at Sgt. Grit's in Oklahoma City. It was about a 230-mile ride for me, so I left about 9 a.m. I had plenty of time, and showed up in OKC just after 1 p.m. The only problem was, I couldn't find the place until 1:50 … having to stop twice to look at the directions on my phone, and talk to some old guy who said he was a retired photographer who wanted to take my photo. Yeah, uh huh. Okay. There's SW 244th.

And once again, I passed Sgt. Grit's before realizing it. Maybe this time it was because I was so busy looking at the motorcycle parked outside it, a 2013 midnight blue and silver Ultraclassic, which I found out when I looked at it up close and personal. That was Biker Bill's ride.

Nice ride.
This bike was a rental as his had broken down near Mt. Vernon, Illinois. It's still in the shop, a cam bushing. He'd hit a huge pothole that nearly swallowed the bike and then it started making weird noises. He rode the 42 miles to the shop … and then had to leave it. The only two options then were to buy one, or rent one. He knew he'd be in deep trouble if he didn't show up to meet me.

So there he was, bike parked, slouched against a tree out front, watching me ride by and making a quick turn around.

He looked good … and I was happy to see him. We spent a little time in the shop, which has all things with Marine emblems, kind of like Harley-Davidson. Then we got on the road and headed north, and west, and around, spending the night in Cordell … off Highway 152.

While I was unable to post this yesterday, hope it was a happy Fourth of July … Happy Independence Day, America. Hope we keep it. And thanks to all who have and are serving, and their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment