Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Keys and Florida continued

On Friday (March 7), we had scheduled a multiple-item excursion with snorkeling, jet skiing, kayaking and parasailing out of Key West.  We left our Marathon hotel (about 50 miles from Key West) early so we’d be there in time and traffic really wasn’t too bad.  It took us longer to find the parking garage and the excursion people than driving down there practically.

The wind was blowing pretty good out on the open ocean and tossed us around a little bit even on a 65-foot catamaran.  When we got into place over the reef and tied up to the buoy there were some big white caps.  We didn’t have that rough a sea on the Island Princess cruise ship. 
 
Our ride for the day.
But Jaz and I were game and donned snorkel masks and tubes.  She was brave enough to jump the six feet or so from the side of the boat.  I watched her do it and saw her go under water.  Nope.  I wasn’t doing that.  I’m not a natural in the water, and in fact, am afraid of it.  On top of it is okay, but not under. 
I elected to go down the six or seven steps from the back of the boat although the waves were breaking pretty good over them.  While the boat crew said it was harder and more dangerous, I was going that way or no way.  One of the crew members stood on the steps to try to hold them down a bit and one of the crew in the water came over with a buoy and said to hold on to it and he’d get me away from the boat.  Old does have its privilege sometimes. 
The water looks nice here but don't be fooled.
The steps were rocking and rolling and I scooted down them on my butt.  (That butt is very useful sometimes.)  I made my way to near the bottom one, and made my move.  I stretched out my arms in my best Superman impression and lunged away from the boat, grabbing the buoy at the same time.  I still have some fairly decent reflexes.  The young, athletic crew member guided me to the buoy rope.  I grabbed on to that, and wondered if I could get to the reef and back again. 
 
Water came in through my snorkel tube.  I choked, coughed, gargled with salt water and spit.  I kept kicking my legs, but nothing was happening.  The waves were so strong I couldn’t even make my way down the line holding on to it.  I decided this whole snorkeling thing was not in my best interest and told the crew member I wanted to go back.  I wasn’t that far away but it seemed like yards to me.  I might have been three yards from the boat, not very far, and was able to make my way back with his help.
This is the stairwell I chose to use.  Again, don't be fooled.  The waves were crashing over these steps and moving them up and down quite vigorously. 
The waves crashed into the steps on the boat, moving them up and down.  I flexed and pumped and made the perfect landing onto the bottom step.  I held on for dear life, got my butt on the step properly and scooted back up to the deck.  Well, that certainly had not gone well.  I didn’t know then, but found out in a few minutes that Jaz had also come back onto the boat.  The waves were just too rough to be doing this, although some of the young and probably strong swimmers did get over the reef.  I was sad since I’d really wanted to see it.  But there’d be another chance the following day.

Everyone got back into the boat after about an hour and we set under way again.  This time we anchored to a landing platform where there were several jet skis parked.  We rode two up, and I took our first turn.  What a hoot.  What a kick.  What a buzz!!!  I love jet skis.

Jet skis were a hoot.
I’d never been on one.  It was like riding a motorcycle except with water and rain, with most of it breaking over you, getting salt water in your eyes and mouth; your hair and swim suit soaked.  What a blast this was.  Jaz and I traded places after a while and they had to practically chase us down to make us come in from this one.   This was fun, fun, fun, and I’d do it again in a heartbeat.  Parasailing and kayaking were out due to the waves, but the thing we did get to do was a great time.
We were having a ball and we hadn't even left the dock yet.  (Photo taken by Fury Watersports.)
After we got back to land, we’d decided not to go on the sunset cruise that was tossed in as a freebie.  We decided to go have a nice dinner out of Key West, away from the crowds, and get back to the hotel as we had another early morning the next day.  But it was another great day … three cheers for vacations.

I had used my underwater camera today, but not underwater.  Another day.
On Saturday (March 8), we checked out of our hotel and headed to Key Largo.  This was to be our last big hurrah.  We were going to take a three-hour scuba cram course and then be allowed to do two dives over the reef with a certified dive instructor.

When we got to the dive shop Jaz couldn’t do it because she had the end of a cold but she would be able to snorkel.  I was allowed.  So I was fitted with a wet suit, snorkel, tube, fins and pack for the tanks.  My instructor, whose name I’ve forgotten (Wayne, I believe, so I’ll call him that) and I got into the pool at a nearby hotel.  We worked together as I learned to clear the tube, pull the scuba mouthpiece out of my mouth, let out air through my mouth and put it back in.  I learned the signals of okay and not okay, up, and so on.  Things were going well. 
There’s a little procedure you have to do where you fill your mask half full of water, press the top of it to your head and clear it through the bottom by blowing through your nose.  I got it … a few times.  Then I took on water and scared myself.  It had been hard to get in the water anyway after the experience from the day before, and this just didn’t get any better. 

Wayne was very, very patient.  He said we had lots of time, but after trying and trying and getting worse instead of better, I pulled the plug and told him I didn’t think it was in my best interest to scuba.  At least not this time.  But I would snorkel.

Three boats/ships with the name Princess in them, and we've been on a dozen boats ... plus a stationary one.  That's a lot of boating for a single trip ... from a ship to a small puddle jumper at the Theatre of the Sea.  No sea sickness here.
We left on yet another boat called the Princess, Coral Princess this time.  That’s three boats we’ve been on with Princess in the name.  About 12 of us were going to snorkel two areas, and there were two folks on board who were going to scuba. 
The seas were quite calm this time and Captain Slate (owner of the business), had us tied off in no time.  He told us, "Get off my boat ... and have fun." 
Jaz snorkeling.
I was able to step off the back of this boat onto the step and just lunge forward with an easy breast stroke.  But I was having trouble getting my head into the water.  I tried, and would bring it up, tried and would bring it up.  I finally prevailed, although I’d get nervous when a small wavelet would break over my head.  Eventually I was able to get my head down, take photos and enjoy the underwater world I was seeing.  Coral, all kinds of fish, including a barracuda and so many others.  It was beautiful and I stayed in as long as I could before we pulled up and went to the next location.

I was getting more comfortable and doing selfies.
The next area of the reef was more beautiful than the one before it.  And it was shallower, so I could see more, the fish hanging out around plants, both fish and plants swaying with the current.  It was awesome.  I could see the two divers with their bubbles moving slowly along the bottom maybe 20-25 feet down.  I really wish I could have done that, too, but it just wasn’t to be.  I was quite content with my snorkeling trip this time.  Great water, great area and great crew.  And I finally got to use my underwater camera.
I'm not real good with this camera yet, but did get a couple of fairly decent shots.  It would probably been better really underwater, like on the bottom.

The two scuba divers were having a great time wandering around.
Once back on land, we cleaned up a bit with fresh water and headed north, knowing not where we’d land.  We landed in Homestead at the worst hotel of the trip … and one we wouldn’t even shower in.  We’d looked at the room and it appeared okay on the surface.  NOT!!!  Guess you need one really, really bad one to make the others look good. 
Sunday morning (March 9), we hurriedly packed the few things we’d removed from our suitcases the night before and scurried out of that place as fast as we could.  We were on our next day’s adventure and the crappy hotel was soon forgotten, mostly.  Except we did have to laugh about it.
We were going to look for an airboat ride to go see some of the grasses, alligators and hopefully birds, too.  We weren’t in any rush and meandered along, looking around, and finally ending up at an alligator farm that had airboat rides, too. 

Several boats were going out that day.  We were on the first one so the water was pretty clear and we saw a lot.
The channels you go through on an airboat are pretty spectacular. 
We saw gators.

And more gators.

And still more gators. 
 
The flowers by the lily pads are really a pretty lemon-yellow color.
It was a fun place with alligators that have ended up there for one reason or another, including one with about two feet of his tail missing, or born there.  It was an interesting place and I held another alligator, just a little one, maybe a foot long.  I also touched a snake.  I really don’t like doing that … ugh!!!  Don’t like snakes.  It was a python.  They also have an albino python who was quite beautiful, for a snake.  UGH!!!

Here I am with the little alligator.  I'd rather hold one of these than pet a snake.
Then it was off to chase the elusive perfect photo … the money shot. 
This little woodpecker could have been the money shot if he'd been cooperative and I could have focused properly ... he was pretty far away, but his bright head certainly got our attention.

I liked this airboat because it was a bright yellow.
 
We found more alligators on our own.

Jaz spotted this one lurking in the pond amongst the lily pads. 

We'd gone on a little trail walk in Big Cypress National Preserve and found a few things to photograph.

There are always lots of birds ... cormorant drying its wings. 
On Monday (March 10) we left the Flamingo Motel which was a pretty good place, no matter the name.  We were going north as I wanted to meet a friend I’d met on Facebook, Kathy and her dog, Buddy.  We set up an afternoon meet time, which left Jaz and me time to wander around. 

You have to stay at a Flamingo Motel in Florida.

Yep, lots of flamingo yard-style art.  I loved it.
And we found this exhibit ...

Each flag has the name and age of a child who has died from child abuse ... from only days old to several years of age.  What a tragedy.  And so preventable.
I really don't need to add anything to this.
We found the Manatee Center … closed.

These birds were all lined up waiting for the next handout, I guess.
There's no shortage of beautiful things to photograph.  There were lots of folks who were on the end fishing.  Across this is where small boats can pass under going to and from the little marina.
We found the Navy Seal Museum … closed.
I really would have liked to go in this place, but we had to settle for what is out and about on the grounds.

There really was a lot to photograph on the grounds.  I did not do this statue justice.
These modules were training devices to prepare for the actual splashdowns during the Apollo missions.  As it hit the water, frogmen attached a floatation collar to keep them from sinking.  They then opened the hatch to allow the astronauts to be pulled out and put into hovering helicopters.

I just loved this boat as I think it would scare the pants off anyone who it approached in the water.

These are beach obstacles put on the shore to deter landing craft and their occupants.  These were used for training of frogmen in WW II.   They were constructed and put in place between 1943 and 1946 at Fort Pierce, and removed in February 1991.  The one in the back is a horned scully and is placed in six to eight feet of water to impede landing craft approaching the beach. 

The gun is behind the logs to ambush oncoming traffic.  One of these machine gun bunkers was always placed where the obstacles were with the intent of using heavy fire against frogmen or others trying chart the beaches or the demolitioneers when they tried to remove the obstacles for the landing craft.


You can see this gun could be a real hazard for those who ventured in front of it.
We found the beach by the Navy Seal Museum and decided to put our tootsies in it.  It felt good as the waves washed over our feet then receded and the sand would move making footing a bit uncertain.  We had to be careful so we didn't fall and drop our cameras in the salt water.
These few minutes were very relaxing ... and our feet felt great.  Although we had to try to wipe the sand off of them.  We found foot showers and rinsed, but I still had sand in my toes and sandals.  Oh, the hard life of being on vacation.

We found the Smithsonian Aquarium Exhibit … open.  We wandered in and they were just feeding the fish.  It was quite the exhibit and we had a great time. 
This was a little jewel that we happened on quite by accident, but it was every bit as interesting as other things we'd done.
 
Clown fish.

Lion fish.

Jelly fish.  Don't know if this is a big one of the ones that stung me during the snorkeling or not.

Bright yellow fish always attract me because they're so colorful.

This one looks like it has lipstick on or a red clown nose.
Then it was time to wander over to Kathy’s place to meet her and her dog.

What a hoot Kathy and Buddy are.  She offered us her hospitality for the night, but we wanted to get back down by the airport since we had to return the car by 8 a.m. and she’s located about an hour-and-a-half away.  But we visited with her and a friend that joined us and had a grand time.
Bonnie, Jaz, Kathy and the famous Buddy dog.
What a beautiful soul this boy has.  And he is his momma's boy.
Then it was time to head to the airport area.  We located a Motel 6 although they’re not my favorite.  What a pleasant surprise the room was … it looked like it had just been redone and quite clean and very nice.  But I did remember one of the reasons I don’t like Motel 6.  They charge for Internet.  What a rip off.
This was at the Theater of the Sea.  I just hadn't posted any flower photos.  They had tons of orchids, all different colors.
Two segments of our trip down, and the last of the candies.  No more Princess candies for us. 
But we were in for the night … and the following morning would head to the airport on our way to our next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment