Monday, August 18, 2014

Oddities and Angel Fire

August 14, Thursday.  Today is Biker Bill’s birthday.  I won’t say how old he is, but he’s lived a very long time.  Haha.  I never know what to get him for his birthday, but this time I knew … our friend the Postman from New York, Richard, and his lady, Kim, had visited Angel Fire, the Viet Nam Veteran’s Memorial, in New Mexico, near Taos.  Biker Bill has a brick there and Richard noted that it was in need of cleaning but he didn’t have any cleaning items with him.  I thought that would make a great birthday present, something different, something worthy.

I set out, but before I got too far there was another roadside attraction in Raton, New Mexico, that I wanted to see.  It was a Robocop Miner.  It’s located near the hospital, complete with a coal car.  The Robocop Miner is a tall, metal sculpture of a miner, but it has certain robotic features in the design.  It was a pretty cool thing to see, and then it was time to get on the road to Angel Fire.
This coal car was part of the display I'd gone to see near the hospital.

The cyborg Robocop Miner was the main attraction for me.  The hospital in Raton specializes in treating injured New Mexico miners.  The statue is 10 feet tall, and is of the "openness" style and it's said that some of the miners do not like it.

Some folks think that it looks like Robocop all shot up.  On the other hand, some think that maybe an injured miner would not enjoy being wheeled past an oversized cyborg with large chunks of its body missing.
As I rode along, there was another item I had wanted to photograph.  Today was the day for that, as well.  The tall windmill pumps in the pastures.  I think they’re beautiful, but I had not seen just the exact one I’d wanted before this day.  While I tried to photograph it showing motion, the blades just weren’t turning quickly enough.  Or I couldn’t get my camera settings right.  Oh well.

I think the windmills are very cool. 
The next thing I saw, and wasn’t expecting, was a herd of deer.  This wasn’t your ordinary herd … there were at least six big bucks in it and they all had big racks … keepers if you’re a muley hunter.  They were separate from some does that were just over the hill.  The bucks eventually went over to the does, making a larger herd.  Just wish I’d been closer for a superior photo.  But it was a wonderful thing to see, one I’d not seen before, and will probably have to look long and hard for to maybe, sometime, see again.
Lots of deer.

Big deer.
As I rode on, I saw an occasional antelope.  They’re kind of cool, too, but I did not stop to try to photograph them.  They’re rather wiley, and don’t hang around once you stop.  I noticed a vehicle stopped in front of me along the road, and I slowed down.  That was a good thing.  From in front of the car, an antelope appeared, and it came running full speed, right alongside the road just off the blacktop, my side, to my right.  I was nearly stopped because it was charging forward, and I didn’t know if it would just go past me, go between the car in front of me and me, or decide to smack the bike.  Full speed, a charging antelope.  What a sight.  What a thrill.  Then it veered off toward the pasture to the right of me and was quickly gone.

Angel Fire Viet Nam Veteran's Memorial.

On I went, thankful for the wonderful things I’d already seen this beautiful morning, my next to last day of riding.  Angel Fire looked to be in the middle of the clouds and storms.  I was hoping I’d not be in rain.  While it didn’t get totally blue-sky and no-clouds clear, it was enough to have some sun.  I parked, got a cleaning rag and a bottle of water I’d brought and some cleaning soap from my bags. 
 
And then I walked through the entrance.
 
This plaque is inside but near the entrance to the memorial.  I suspect it was very true for many who have
 written home over the years.
This statue goes with the plaque, the writer, not knowing what to write.
I walked into the memorial area, snapping a few shots because it’s mostly a beautiful, peaceful place, disregarding the military helicopter.  It’s one that makes you think about what transpired, hard to do if you weren’t there.  But one can imagine the horror … and hope to never have to be a part of something like that, and to hope that your loved ones don’t have to be a part of anything like that ever again.
But this place of beauty lies within the memorial.  Bringing a sense of serenity.
The memorial bricks are laid out in sections.  I was looking for Section 27.  There were many, but I found it, along the walkway on the right going down toward the T-split where you can go to the left to the chapel, or to the right to the visitor center and museum/gift shop.  The setting for the section is beautiful with a small stand of trees tied with yellow ribbons and a small American flag.  It’s a pretty and perfect location. 
The trees surrounding the brick walkway add something to the entire effect, tranquility, calmness.
I quickly spotted the brick … William E. Hobbs, USMC 1964-1968.  There was dirt, a few small rocks and some grime on it.  Yes, it definitely needed a bit of cleaning.  I got down on my hands and knees and then got further down and just sat.  I’ve never been to war, but I could feel things there … tears came for those who were gone, those who have suffered losses … of limbs, mental stability, friends, family … all war must be difficult but this one more than most.  These guys were doing what they were told to, but they were treated badly when they returned, either whole, partially or in a wooden box.  That was wrong and I hope that in some way they and their families can know that many of us feel a bit of their pain and wish them healing and positive thoughts and recovery from that time in their lives.
Yes, this brick needed some cleaning.
A youngster came by and asked if I was okay.  Yes, but thank you for asking.  It was time to clean the brick.  I poured water on the it, scrubbed the rocks and dirt away and poured more water on it.  It was looking pretty good.  I repeated the process, but figure it won’t take much time for the sun’s rays to do its thing to it again, as will rain and the dirt that might move down from the small hillside.  But for at least a day it will look new again, and I will have helped give a gift to a man who deserves much thanks for his service.  Thank you, Biker Bill.
A bit of cleaning made a huge difference to the brick.
It was time to wander again through the museum where I purchased some candles to light in the chapel.  One was for Biker Bill so he knows he’s cared for and never forgotten.  I also chose to light one for each of three friends who died in a motorcycle accident, May 3, of this year … Rest in Peace, Elaine Loew, and Jim and Sabrina Carlyle.  You were loved and are missed so very much.

Many folks light candles and I was one of them this day.
There are many interesting things to see and read at the memorial site and it's a place worth visiting.
Back out to the parking lot I went.  As I stood by my bike loading up my supplies, another bike pulled in, two up.  I had my back partially to it, heard the rev and the swearing and knew it was going down.  I looked out of the side of my eye.  Yep.  Down it went.  I waited and then turned around and asked if they were okay.  Yes.  The guy said they’re just so heavy and once they start to go you can’t stop them.  I shared some of my parking lot stories in hopes they would not be too embarrassed and then got on my bike and headed out.

 In a short time, Taos appeared through my windshield.  I gassed up and kept going.  I needed to make some time now, so while I rode part of the southern portion of the Enchanted Circle (I’ve ridden the northern section from east to west on a previous trip) I soon made my way back to Interstate 25, and down to Interstate 40 where I rode west.   While I don’t normally ride much of the interstate system, time was becoming critical.  It was late-Thursday and I wanted to be in Phoenix area by Friday afternoon.  There were still several hundred miles to go and I didn’t want a big-mileage day on Friday since I would be running into the triple-digit heat.  Ugh!!!

Soon I got to my destination, Grants, New Mexico.  I’d decided this would be a good place to stay and then I’d only have about 350-400 miles to go the next day.  I found my new favorite hotel, a Comfort Inn, although this one was an older one and not as nice as others I’d stayed in.  However, it still had the five or six pillows so I could choose the kind I liked best.  And there was an indoor pool and a restaurant that had pretty good brisket, although it wasn’t as good as the one I’d had when visiting Slider.  That one was beyond compare.  But I survived and enjoyed this one.  Then it was time to settle in for the night and work on a blog.  There was no television because the Dish network was down due to storms in the area.  What did it matter to me?  Nothing.  I was in for the night and hard at work.  I could hear the thunder outside but I was safely in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment