Friday, September 4, 2015

Back on the road and headed to the barn

Sunday morning, August 9, it was time to get everything cleaned up, loaded back into the reunion trailer, and get back on the road.  I helped a little but needed to get gone.  I got loaded up, said my good byes, got and gave hugs and headed out.  It was another beautiful day and would be great riding although I’d be running a lot of I-5 down into California. 

As far as Interstates go, 5 isn’t a bad one either.  The traffic was okay, and it runs through some nice country, too.  As I rode through Medford, Oregon, there was smoke, a lot of it and really thick.
It sure seems like there are a lot of fires ... everywhere.
More wild fires.  This time it was way bad and I held my shirt collar up to my nose as I rode through it.  Maybe I should have stopped and wet a headband to put around my nose, but I didn’t want to stop.  Bull headed.  I just plowed on.  Eventually I got through it, but never saw the fires themselves.  I was glad the road was open as I wanted to be ahead of Joe and Verlie.  I knew there was a lot of ground to cover before getting back to Phoenix.

During the day I stopped for gas at a Fred Meyers.  It was a long line and I decided to go to the Chevron across the street.  Wouldn’t you know it.  I was on an uphill grade, my bike was horizontal across it, I tried to turn and got the front end too cranked around.  It started to go over.  While I ordinarily wouldn’t have had a problem keeping it upright, my left foot was on one of those drain grates.  I looked down and watched as my foot slowly slid from right to left, and the bike gently landed on its side.  Crap.  That’s the first time for this bike to tip over.  I tried to pick it up but my foot was on the grate so there was no traction.  A nice young gentleman came and helped me get it upright.  I do depend upon the kindness of strangers.  I got back on and went to Chevron.  Note to self.  Watch out for grates when moving the bike.  They are not your friend.  Nor are gravel and grass as I already know. 

Always take the opportunity to stop and photograph the beautiful flowers.
Near Mount Shasta I veered from 5 and hit 89.  I was to follow this one until I got somewhere.  The somewhere happened to be Burney Falls for the night at a nice little motel called Green Gables.  I’ve seen some of these and had wanted to try one out.  It was a keeper in my motel listings.  What I didn’t realize was that I should have gone from 89 to Susanville on 44 and gone down 395.  I’d find that out the next morning.  Whoops.  More time and miles.  I was following numbers rather than names.  I should have listened better.

When I got up Monday morning, August 10, I got back onto 89.  It takes you through Lassen Volcanic National Park.  Oh.  Maybe I should have gone to Susanville.  But I was now in, it was slow going but I wasn’t going to backtrack.  This is another beautiful park, and I got to use my park pass again, the one I’ve purchased three times.  I knew I couldn’t spend a lot of time here, but did stop to take photos here and there.  The road is a great one for motorcycles, and I wish I’d had more time.  I’ll just have to come back.

Lassen Peak erupted in May 1914, after a 27,000-year hiatus.  It cleared everything in its path ... pastures, homes, forests.  It was the only active erupting volcano in the United States.
This is a view from the other side.  The lake was beautiful and like glass that day.
Continuing volcanic activity feeds the hot water systems in the park.  Sulphur Works, as well as other areas, have become habitats for minute life forms that have adapted to high temperatures and extreme acidity.
Once out of the park I knew I’d been passed by Joe and Verlie.  As it turns out, they’d passed me while I was sleeping in Burney as they kept going until 4 a.m.  I was sawing a whole lot of California logs at that point.  Today was a long day mostly caused by going through the park, and I ended up in Beatty, Nevada, at a Motel 6.  Ordinarily this motel chain is not on my radar as I don’t like them, but it was the first place I came to, and as it turned out, I found out everything else in town was booked.  What? 

One of my reasons for not liking Motel 6 is that usually the rooms are sub-par and they charge for Internet.  I was pleasantly surprised as the room had had a makeover and was quite nice and exceptionally clean.  However, when asking for a WiFi password I was told it would be $5.  It used to be $2.99.  I said I didn’t need it that bad.  EXCEPT, if you’re over 60 or 62, whatever, it’s free.  I was in.  I took my free passcode, but I was so tired I never brought my computer online.  Night night.

Tuesday, August 11, was the final push to Phoenix.  I had to get there as my flight home was booked for Wednesday, the 12th, and I had things that had to be done before leaving.  I needed to wash clothes that would be left behind, wash my bike and pack.

I do not look forward to riding into Phoenix but it’s a necessary evil.  The heat is usually triple-digit and can sear the skin off your bones.  I already was gearing up to drink lots of water with Propel and electrolytes in it.  I’d also stop often to refuel my body.  This morning in Beatty, though, it was cool, and I needed a few layers, including my sweatshirt.  I’ve made a point of mostly not wearing my jacket, although I could have a few times, including today.  Off I rode, headed toward Las Vegas, before heading east into Arizona and to Kingman, then on down and into Phoenix.  The ride wasn’t bad as there was some cloud cover mostly.  I’d gotten lucky. 

Wickenburg would be my last gas stop before heading down into the hellhole they call Phoenix.  About 20 miles out I hit wind.  This was no ordinary wind, but a monsoon.  The wind came at me from all directions, pushing me about left, right, and back again.  I was fighting to keep the bike on the road, and it was all I could do.  It scared me, but there was nowhere to stop.  No building, no gas station, nothing.  I had to keep going because if I tried to stop the bike would be knocked over while I tried to park it.  The big trucks offered nothing more than more wind to fight.  I didn’t know how long this was going to continue, but then it became worse.  Rain.  Actually, just a shower, but it was like someone was pouring buckets of water over me.  It splattered so hard the skin was ripped from my face, and I ducked down behind the windshield.  Mercifully, the rain only continued for a few minutes, just long enough to get my pants wet from the knees down.  This did not constitute riding in the rain.  However, the wind did not let up, and I continued to fight the bike for miles.  Just as I got to the outskirts of Wickenburg, it stopped, as suddenly as it started.  I stopped at a gas station, glad for the respite and for a moment to gather myself together.  At least there had been enough traffic so that if I had gone off the road someone would have seen it, and hopefully stopped to help.  Strangers again. 

At the gas station, a guy from the red pickup truck behind me came up and started in on his spiel.  His mom in Las Vegas was sick, yada, yada, yada.  I said I’m not giving you any money.  He said he wasn’t asking for any, but if I could put a gallon of gas in his truck.  I said that wouldn’t get him very far.  Sure.  But I did, filling it up … 2.something gallons.  I commented that he sure didn’t need much.  He said he tried to keep it over half.  Yada, yada, yada.  A scam?  Probably, but it was my good deed for the day.  His truck cost more than my motorcycle, I’m sure of that.  And if it was a scam, he can live with it.

On into Phoenix.  Whoa.  There’s cloud cover.  It lasted until I got to the barn, and continued as we washed my bike.  I must be living right this trip.  All my clothes got washed, I got packed, we had some dinner and a bit of a visit, and then it was time to get to bed as my flight was leaving at 7:45 a.m.  Who booked an early flight like that?  I did.  Only because if I chose something else it would give me a horrendously long layover and I’d arrive at some ungodly late hour.  Better early than late on this trip.

Wednesday morning, August 12, came way too early, but I was anxious now to get to the airport, get on the flight and get home. 

My first flight went smooth and on time to Seattle.  Once in Seattle I found out from my dear Facebook that friend Robin was on a flight coming in, just several gates down from where I’d depart.  We’d most likely not meet up as my flight was to board and hers wasn’t at the gate.  A huge storm had come through depositing rain and hail, giving us a lightning display and treating us to loud rumbling thunder.  That stopped any flights from coming or going.  Robin told me that from her flight that was parked on the tarmac.  Our flight agents gave us that information after a bit of time.  Our plane wasn’t even at the boarding gate, so maybe it would work. 

Yahoo.  They’d called my row of numbers to board, but I looked to my left and there was Robin.  I ran over to give her a hug and to exchange a few words, then she had to go, and I had to get on board.  My flight was about an hour late getting out due to the storm as they had to give us a different aircraft at another gate nearby.  But all was well, and I had the entire row to myself.  So, I’m working on this, and my phone is plugged in and charging so I can call Biker Bill once we land.  Home sweet home.  I’m nearly there.

No comments:

Post a Comment