Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Barbados ... more water ... and tortoises, too

Today, Feb. 27, we landed on the Island of Barbados, at the capital city of Bridgetown, located on the Caribbean Sea.  The other island coast lies along the Atlantic Ocean.  Interestingly, we were advised to not wear camouflage clothing as it’s illegal, even for children, and to not even carry anything that was camo.  It was a good thing I’d brought more than camo to wear as I love the stuff.  Even more interesting was that I saw absolutely no one dressed in camo … no police, no military. 

The island also has a smoking ban … public places, including bars, restaurants and an entire perimeter around the port. 

Barbados is an island floating by itself below the hurricane belt, is located about 100 miles from St. Lucia and is the eastern-most island of the West Indies.  It gained its independence in 1966 but there is an abundance of British influence … the game of cricket and afternoon tea included.  While tourism is the biggest industry there is still some sugar cane trade.  It also is known for its rum.  Imagine that.  And it has a distillery that has the world’s oldest rum distillery, Mount Gay Rum.

Our excursion today would be a catamaran ride and snorkeling.  Yep.  I was going to continue to do this.  We had an excellent boat ride, meeting up again with some other Alaskans, who had also been on the previous day’s SNUBA adventure.  The cat crew provided us with drinks, no alcohol served until after the completion of the snorkeling, and a variety of quick breads. 
 
Aren't we cute?
Then we were given our snorkel masks if we wanted to do that … yes, I do.  I once again told them I was not a strong swimmer, and had a young man who took me about with a float.  It helped me to again add to the confidence I’d gained from the previous day.  We were over a reef, and there was an abundance of beautiful fish to see.  I even saw a little octopus flexing its top, moving its many legs and swimming along sideways.  It was awesome.

Some of this fish were quite colorful.

Some not as much, but they still stood out from the ocean floor.

A sea urchin that was not the black ones I'd seen before.

I think this was brain coral, and it was pretty cool stuff.  It looked as though this one had been damaged.
We pulled up anchor and continued on our wonderful boating journey.  It was truly a great outing … the cat is a sailboat and both sails were hoisted.  We sailed along without the noise of the engines, simply enjoying the day at sea on a different type of craft.

Our next stop was to float and swim with tortoises.  I decided to venture out on my own although I was a very slow swimmer and a ways behind everyone else.  But I made it.  There were two tortoises and it was something to see, the big creatures gently floating by, effortlessly, while I struggled a bit … breaking the seal and getting water in my mask, pulling myself up on the ladder of another boat, as well as being pulled to the boat by the ladder because I couldn’t get the mask resealed to my round little face … the crew on the boat that was not ours were quite kind to me. 

The tortoises are big and so very graceful in the water.
This one swam right to me, and then under me.  I wasn't even frightened.  Maybe I should have been?
As we were heading back to our boat, one of the crew came to me and brought a float.  He said he’d pull me back … I let him as it would have taken me a while and these folks are exceptional swimmers.  I did work my little old legs and helped him, though. 

All is okay.
The young man on the right is the one that drug me around with the float at the first stop.  The young man on the left came and got me and took me back to the boat after we saw the tortoises.  They knew I was not a strong swimmer and made sure I was safe at all times.
Our next stop was to go up onto the beach … after a marvelous lunch of chicken and fish, salad, rolls, and some different type of macaroni and cheese that was delicious, we were able to hop off and walk on the beach … I did it … barefoot, and I NEVER, EVER walk barefoot.  Today was the day.

It was a beautiful beach with gentle waves.
Yep, I was walking barefoot.
Our boat for the day.
After beach walking, we reboarded our boat.
Drinks around!!
It was fun day, and I thoroughly enjoyed it … and hope my succeeding water adventures will continue to be good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment