Sunday, April 24, 2016

Now for the big zip

Toolbox, Dewey and I were off on another adventure, Thursday, April 7.  We had reservations to do the Out of Africa zip line that flies over a wildlife park.  Woo hoo.  Hope we don’t get dropped into a lion’s den.
How much longer till lunch gets here?  (Photo by Out of Africa Wildlife Park.)
We met up and Toolbox got us there.  The road into the park dipped down steeply and you couldn’t see where it went from up above, so I was a bit nervous about getting in someplace I’d not be able to get out of easily.  No problem.  Although the parking lot was gravel.  Gravel is not my friend.  Never has been, but I aced this one.

The zip line folks wanted us to sign waivers.  I figured that covered them in case the cable broke and a rhino or tiger or hyena got us.  We signed anyway.  We were not allowed to take cameras or cell phones as they’ve had incidents of things getting dropped and harming the animals.

The next step was getting harnessed and then climbing more than 200 steps to get to the top of the first platform.
High above the ground, we took off ... and zipped along to the other side.
Zippity do dah, and off we went.  The zips are fast … and on the first one I was all about the zip.  But when looking down you see the animals, and the succeeding zips were more about seeing them and enjoying the view.

There was another one looking for lunch.  They were all looking for lunch.  They think we taste like chicken, you know.  (Photo by Out of Africa Wildlife Park.)
There was also a suspension bridge … I bounced up and down on it.  I think Dewey needs to get over a fear of heights.  Haha!!!
Suspension bridges are very cool ... especially when above a wildlife park.  What's down there?
I think Toolbox had a good time.
More zips, and then the last one.  This had three zip lines.  We went in groups of three and it was a race.  They said to use whatever means you needed to, to win.  Toolbox, Dewey and I were lined up.  The guide said 3, and I pushed off.  Funny.  Toolbox said I cheated.  All I did was compensate for him weighing more than I did.  I won!!!!!  Haha.

The zip crew.
From the zip went into the wildlife park.  All of the animals have come from bad situations, for instance, someone trying to raise a tiger in an apartment.  So, basically, they’re all rescues.

The first thing we were signed up to do was feed a tiger.  You do this through a fence, using one of those “help me pick it up” tools.  The tigers were quite accommodating and kept eating.  It was fun and helps pay for their food.

Yep.  I was not on the menu today.
Next we were going on an “inside-the-fence” tour that would include feeding a giraffe.  Cool.  I’m all about getting close to the wildlife.  Some of it, anyway.  We drove around and had zebras and a giraffe close to the vehicle. 

How many?  They kind of all blend together, but there's a young one in there.

Just doing a tongue test to see how long it is.
The guide said if we were brave we could put the giraffe food in our mouths and let it take it from us that way.  I used to feed my horse carrots that way. So I could, and would, and hopped over the seat to get closer to the giraffe.  That big, long giraffe tongue came out and gently snatched the carrot from me.  What a great experience.  I’d handed Dewey my camera.  For some reason he didn’t get the shot.  Crap!!!

This was the best we could do ... later, in the gift shop.
From there we wandered around and our guide told us about the animals and how they interact will all of them on a daily basis, except for the hyenas who will rip off your face.  Yep.  I understood that.  I looked at the hyenas, and they looked like they were laughing, saying come on in.  We’ll have fun.  I think they lie.
Jericho ...

Purrrrrrrr.
Cypress says, "Tastes like chicken."
Leaving so soon?  I'm still hungry.
From there we ended our tour, and walked about until time to leave … and headed back toward town.  The boys and I separated, and Dewey and I made a plan to meet the next day … Arizona Bike Week was upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment