Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Kangaroos and koalas

We headed down from the mountains as Thursday, March 30, was our last full day in Australia for now.  The plan was to head to Blacktown to go to the Featherdale Wild Life Park as I needed my tourist photo with a koala.  After that we wanted to get closer to Sydney to return the car on Friday and get to the port to board the ship at noon. 

The rain mostly held off until we arrived at Featherdale, which has the world’s largest collection of Australian native birds and animals, numbering about 1,700. 

As we arrived at the park, the rain really began to come down.  Tropical Storm Debbie, formerly known as Cyclone Debbie, was continuing to make herself known.  But I still intended on going in as I wanted my koala photo.  It’s the tourist way, and I am a great tourist. 
Nothing uglier than a hairless baby.  Awwww.  So cute.
One koala photo coming up.
We had rain ponchos, and I’m certainly glad I’d brought one.  It was worth the few bucks I’d paid for it.  It rained most of the time we were there, sometimes a little less, but mostly just harder.  But it was still interesting.  And I didn’t care.  I got my photo with a koala and fed the kangaroos and wallabies.
Fuzzy-butted koala.  Got my tourist photo.
Look at those eyelashes.
They're so cute I wanted to take one home.
However, these have some pretty sharp-looking claws, too.
This is a quokka.  It looks like some kind of rodent to me, or some strange type of kangaroo. 
The little penguin can swim at 6 km per hour and can dive to a depth of 40 metres.

The little penguin is the smallest in the world and can be found up and down the east coast of Australia.
Then it was back to the hotel to wash clothes so we’d have everything clean for tomorrow on the ship.  Of course, we jammed the dryer with our clothes still wet, but eventually got that done, then worked on blogs and photos.  We were ready for our premium boarding experience as Princess Cruise Platinum Guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment