Monday, May 15, 2017

Big Loser goes to French Polynesia

Today’s the big day Monday, April 24, the lip syncing contest.  The winner opens for the crew’s lip syncing contest later on in the cruise, and that would be fun, but there’s some really, really stiff competition.  My number is Peggy Lee’s, “Big Spender,” a song that I love, and the final rehearsal went well.  The only problem is that the show isn’t until 9:30 p.m.  Luckily, we gained an hour, and they moved it up a half hour from 10 p.m.  So, in reality, it will only be 8:30.  Yay.  I’m thinking NoDoze.

The Explorers Lounge was packed, but my fans were in the front row, coming more than an hour in advance to be there and in the good seats.  Champagne was there for the contestants, so I passed mine on to others.  One or two may have started early.  Haha.

And then, it was time.  I was first on, a bad place in the lineup as I had to follow our cruise guide, who was absolutely awesome.  I’d say he’s done it a time or twenty.  All I can say is that it was a great time, the performers did a fine job and the people who won, Ray and Cath, were the best and totally deserved the win.  I’d do it again in a heartbeat. 

Ta dah.  (Photo by Stef)
Plus I made some new friends who are absolutely wonderful people … Ray and Cath (Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious), Maria and Richard (You’re the One that I Want from the movie, “Grease”), Pat (RESPECT) and Jim.  (If you want to see the video, ask me.  I couldn't get it to post here.)

The group.  Wonderful and fun people, all.  (Photo by Stef)
Of course, once the show was over even being a “Big Loser” I was totally ramped up and didn’t want to go to sleep.  But finally, I settled in for the night.  Yay.

The Beautiful Emerald Princess moved along and Bora Bora (pronounced Pora Pora, meaning first-born) was on the horizon for Tuesday, April 25.  It was another beautiful port, but one we’d have to take a tender for as the port isn’t deep enough for the ship.
There was this interesting boat in the bay.  I was told it was a tramp steamer.  You get on it with a certain destination in mind, but you're not 100 percent sure when you'll get there.  Sounded very interesting until I heard they didn't have a Horizon Court or an International Café where I could get a flat white coffee.
I’d had to cancel my snorkeling excursion due to the doctor’s recommendation, and was awaiting an ophthalmologist appointment a few days away in Papeete, French Polynesia.  I was disappointed but need to make sure my eye is okay, and it certainly feels a lot better now with the drops. 

There’d been doctor visits a couple of times to find an ophthalmologist, get the appointment set up, get a confirmation and a ride to the clinic confirmed.  Every time there’s a huge line to see the doctors … the ship of sickies.  Coughing, hacking, sneezing.  It was never-ending, especially when you toss in the occasional black eye, sprained something, broken limbs, and lots of sea sickness.  But I got to the head of the line every time and had very nice conversations with Doctor Kate, who I believe welcomed them from the usual ones. 

Mike and Vangie and I took the tender in as I’d decided to walk around a bit with them.  Stef had gone earlier and we met up with her.  I quickly lost them all somewhere, but wasn’t too worried as I knew I could find my way back.  There was a small market that I wandered about in, and then I stepped out toward the street. 
I like that they can deliver flowers in the back of a pick-up truck.
Across the street there was a scooter rental place.  I was thinking I could maybe rent a scooter and ride about a bit.  I wandered over and asked the young lady about renting a scooter for a few hours.  She spoke in either French or Tahitian to another older lady behind the counter.  She then responded to me, “No!”  No explanation, nothing.  I was rather shocked and just left.  Maybe they were all reserved.  Or maybe I was too old?  Too female?  I have no idea, and didn’t follow up, although when I returned later there were still scooters.  Just saying.
I spotted some bright-colored canoes.  They were pretty, just setting on the beach, waiting for someone to take them on the water.  Wasn't me.  Haven't tried one of these yet, but I've not ruled it out.
I wandered on down the road, and went into a grocery store to get a bottle of water as it was quite warm and I didn’t want to go through the whole heatstroke thing again.  As I came out of the store, I politely asked a local man walking in if I could ask him a question for directions.  He wouldn’t even talk to me and pointedly moved away from me, and walked on.  Wow.

At least the store let me use their lady's room, although it was a guy who came out of it while I waited.
And there were some interesting brands of booze.
I continued walking, and found that I could see volcanic steam vents around.

There was an interesting place to keep shoes.

And lots of good things to eat.  I didn't try one, though.  Princess feeds me really well on the ship.

I would like to try a breadfruit, though, but this was in someone's yard.
But, there were some gentlemen playing music, and I danced hula with them.  Our instructor, Maile, says we should dance anytime we can, so I did. 
They played well, but I didn't try.  My dancing was better than my playing.  Was still fun.
There was also a fabric store I entered, with bolt after bolt of beautiful, bright material.  It’s a joy to see all the color.
The colors and the prints were magnificent.

Vendors lined the street, and you could buy all kinds of fun things, including windsocks, black pearl jewelry, coconuts.
When I returned to the cruise port area I caught a bus down to a local watering hole called Bloody Mary’s.  To me, it was rather a neat bar, but the most interesting thing here was the restroom sink … it was a waterfall.

An interesting place with sugar sand as a floor and coconut stumps to sit on.  It's supposedly been a watering hole for the rich and famous, including Jack Klugman, Denzel Washington, Cameron Diaz, Carrie Underwood, Johnny Depp and Pat Tillman.  I only wandered in, through and out.

There was even a traffic guard to make sure no one got run over.
Pull the ring at the upper left, and the waterfall starts so you can wash your hands.  I tested it.  It worked great.


The view around here sure is something to see.
There's nothing like the scent of sweet-smelling flowers.

Or water so clear you can see to the bottom ...
Back on the bus I got, and rode around to the beach and back to the ship area.  While Bora Bora is not nearly as filthy as Pago Pago, I have to say some of the locals I tried to speak with were not as friendly, except for the ones in the market trying to sell you something. 

But the water and the beaches are gorgeous.

And I love the palm trees.
I made it back onto the ship in time for a perfect afternoon tea with little sandwiches, scones and cookies.  Despite a few downsides, it all ended on a high note.

Then it was time to sail away.

There were reefs on either side of us.

The island is small, only six miles long and two-and-a-half miles wide, with a population of 8,927 (2007).  Small, but oh, so beautiful, with an ideal average temperature of 79 degrees.



No comments:

Post a Comment