Saturday, August 14, 2010

Aug. 9 and 10 POSTED Aug. 14, NO PHOTOS

August 9, Monday


Today is my last day: I hate to leave because I'm having such a great time. I need to mail a box, or maybe two.

Birdy and I went to town and went to the Harley place where they had everything you needed to do bike washes (free wash your own). There were all these products you could use, and some were very good. The bikes looked so much better at this point, but it won't last since I'm leaving tomorrow and the bugs will gather on the windshield and everywhere else.
Hot, hot, hot today. Bike thermometer reading above 90 degrees. The traffic is really bad now. As we rode out of the Chip I remembered hearing the traveling Viet Nam wall was going to be there. It was, and so we went over and took some photos. Also known as the moving wall, t's an 3/5s replica of the Viet Nam veteran's memorial in Washington, D.C., and stretches over 380 feet and is 6 feet tall. There are two walls and each spends about a week at each location where it visits. The wall photos for Biker Bill as he's a Viet Nam vet. He and I saw the wall when it came to Anchorage. It's a replica of that one that is in D.C., that we also visited in 1993 when we picked up new bikes at the factory in York, PA. It's very cool.

We then headed to Vale to mail packages. We hadn't been at the post office for five minutes and Sebrey's and Andrus's rolled in to mail things, too. Yay me. I mailed three packages, more than they did. But one went to Bozeman.

Went back to the Last Call Bar and Grill for lunch. Hot beef sandwiches, mashed taters and gravy and an ear of corn. I asked for another and ate that one, too. Was good, good, good.

Went on back to the Chip. 500 acres of land at the Chip, according to the Internet. I believe it's all full … sure looks like it. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. It's wall-to-wall campers, motorhomes, tents, trailers for bikes, and of course, hundreds of bikes … way too many have arrived in trailers. I think a lot of these folks don't realize that the ride to the destination is a huge part of the whole Sturgis experience. Why have and ride a motorcycle if you're just going to ride around town and not have the whole adventure? I sure don't get it.

Started getting my things organized and packed for loading up in the morning. It always takes time to get all nested, and things in all the right places. I have a new bag to sit on the seat, so will take some work to figure out how to attach and what to put in it. Busy, busy, busy.

Each night there are two or three bands playing, or some other entertainment. Tonight was ZZ Top, one of the ones I wanted to see. ZZ Top had played in Milwaukee when Biker Bill and I went for the 90th Harley reunion and event. But I had such a bad migraine that all I remember was thumping music, and I did not enjoy a single moment of it. Can't even remember most of it. So this was going to be a great time. Except, I had a headache again, not a migraine. Popped some Advil, and all was good. Probably just heat.

I walked around the concert area and took some photos. These are the ones that are a bit on the x-rated side, so be aware if you look at them. They will be posted at some point in the near future. The concert was great, and I enjoyed it … the music, the people, it all was so much fun. I'm really glad I stayed at the Chip, even camping. It was loads of fun, and it all combines to make a great Sturgis adventure. I only wish I'd been able to stay a few days longer. Oh well. Next time.

It was a pleasure to meet RB's son, and their other friends. I spoke with Preacher for quite a while at the concert and look forward to meeting his wife, Red, next year. I also enjoyed meeting Toby, who is called that as he's a Toby Keith lookalike. And yes, he is. Maybe even better looking. Paul and Mary, Eric, it was great. These are some really nice folks that Two Bike has met and that I've now been introduced to. It will be fun to see them again on succeeding trips to Sturgis, or other places, maybe on a cruise which is where I met RB and his wife Patty. I'm only sorry I couldn't stay long enough to see Patty who was arriving the day I had to leave.

So, all in and heading out in the morning. Would like to leave between 7 and 8 a.m. We'll see.



August 10, Tuesday

Did not want to leave ... I'm like some kind of herd animal I guess. Don't like getting cut out of the herd. We all talked about coming back next year, but it won't be the same. Stalker will be in some Godawful foreign desert crappy country, RB, Jr. will be overseas as well, and I'll miss seeing them. Kevlar won't be there if Stalker isn't, and I so enjoyed her. She's a peach, and funny, and just great to be around. Stalker and Kevlar are then moving to Germany, so it will be a few years, unless we all take a trip to see them. Maybe that could be arranged???

I finally got everything that I could take loaded (leaving my $10 sleeping bag and the chair), and road out through the grass at about 8:15 a.m.

Rode to Shelby, MT, and looked to stay there as it was nearly dark. No rooms. That's a couple of times on this trip I've been shut out … phoned home and told Biker Bill I had to continue. He was worried since it was getting late and I was still moving. The Spot tracker is a marvelous device to use, particularly if traveling by yourself.

I was eating a sandwich from the convenience store, sitting on my bike at the gas pump. A guy on a blue Fatboy was gassing up and I asked him which way he was heading. He was going north toward Lethbridge, Alberta. I asked him if I could tag along, and we teamed up figuring two sets of headlights were better than one. Tracy from Red Deer … he rode well, and not too fast. Was great. Yep, Two Bike, I do depend on the kindness of strangers. The thing is, it seems to work. Most folks are kind, and good.

As we rode I saw the silhouette of a big bull elk laying under a tree. The horns were huge, and it was a beautiful sight. And I heard on the radio that Sen. Ted Stevens died in a plane crash. It was a shock. On another trip I was on in 1997, Princess Diana died. I am sorry for his family, and others who will miss him, knowing how much he did for Alaska.
Tracy and I got to the border crossing, where we had nice discussions with the border guards. Turns out there were some prisoners who had escaped down south (some guy had told me about them at a gas stop and told me to be careful), and the word was that some had been captured, but they thought two were on bikes and moving north, a guy and gal. Tracy and I sure fit that description. But they knew we were not the bad guys … I mean, look at us, and the innocent faces we were wearing. Haha. And on we went.
Got to Lethbridge, said goodby to Tracy and found a Days Inn at about midnight. It was one of the nicest ones I've ever stayed in. Three pillows. Wow. Luxury. A real bed; will I be more comfortable than sleeping in a tent on my air mattress? I got a 746 mile day under my belt, which is actually good since I need to make lots of miles to get home in time to make it to work on Monday. I phoned home to let Biker Bill know I was off the bike and in a hotel. He told me to just sleep in and get some rest. He worries when I'm on the road late like that. I don't care to be, but sometimes you've just got circumstances that warrant you pushing on.

All in all, it was a beautiful ride today … no rain, sun. A couple in a car at one point went by me and the lady took my photo and gave me the thumb's up. Cool. So often when traveling someone will say you're living the dream everyone wants. I'm not sure about their dreams, but seems like there are lots who do envy what those of us who ride are doing. Ya just gotta go do it. And thanks again to Biker Bill for making this all possible. Sounds like a commercial, doesn't it. But as the trip winds down I am always reminded that without him, and learning to ride my own, I wouldn't be out traveling like this, seeing so much of the country. It is truly a joy to be able to do this. And I love it. Don't expect I'd travel much otherwise. But give me a motorcycle and the country is my oyster, or some such after murdering that little saying.
And so, dog tired, bedraggled, and sadly in need of some rest, I'm all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment