Tuesday, August 17, 2010

POSTED AUG 17 / August 11, 12,13 and 14 / NO PHOTOS

Aug. 11, Wednesday


For the last night I was there at the ZZ Top concert,I failed to mention something that was very exciting. Wrong Way and I were going to the toilets (as the sign says) and I heard my name being called from out of the crowd. I turned around and there was Sidecar Mike (Mike Luther) and his lovely wife, Donna, the chili queen. They'd come to Sturgis just for the day, and just knew they could find us … and they did. So we took them back down to visit everyone and of course, took photos of us all together. It was so nice to see them, and spend a few hours … see, you meet the nicest people at Sturgis … at the Legendary Chip!!

On Wednesday, I woke up at 7 a.m., 6 hours sleep. How is it that on vacation I can run on 5 or 6 hours of sleep, but at home I need lots more. I think it has to do with sunshine, in part, at least. The rest is just not wanting to waste any vacation time sleeping. Coffee in the room, but not nearly as good as Two Bike's. I drank it anyway as it's better than nothing. A hot, hot shower, and I luxuriated in the warmth and the length of it. I only had one cold shower at the Chip, but this one I could stay under as long as I wanted. It was a Days Inn in Lethbridge, and a great one. I've stayed in some Days Inns that were not so great. It had a huge breakfast area, a pool and a high ceiling with murals painted on it, mostly animals. Folks there were exceptionally pleasant, and there was even a guy to wait on you for the breakfast foods and all. Wow, high class. I could get used to this

The bike and grounds were soaked so it must have rained good last night. Poor Miss Scarlet looks like she never was washed. The bugs are terrible; must have been the night riding. Not sorry I missed the rain. Would not have made my night riding better. Sun is coming out, but weather channel is saying rain and thunder storms later. I'll be gone.


It started out cold, but it warmed up so I could just wear my hoody. It was a good thing I did as I stopped to buy some B.C. Cherries and was wondering how to have access to them while I was traveling. I figured it out pretty quickly. I put the bag in my hoody pockets and I could get to them while I was riding, eat them, and spit cherry seeds all the way north. It was great fun.

As I rode along looking at the scenery, I saw a doe next to the road. She was very undecided as to what she wanted to do. First she'd head for the road, then back into the greenbelt, back and forth. There was a fence, about 8 feet tall, made out of that stuff that looks like chicken wire. The doe eventually decided to go and jump it and get away from the road. She didn't make it, and bounced off the fence, doing a somersault with her legs flying every which way. She jumped up and took off. She must have been okay, but it was sad to see her run into the fence. But at least she didn't run into the road. I was going really slow by then because I sure did not want to have her run into me, or me into her.

Didn't get as far as I wanted today, about 450 miles, to Whitecourt. Had to stay, didn't look like anywhere else until Grand Prairie, about 200 miles away. Went across the street got chicken Caesar salad and sweet tater fries to go … fries great with a tanzike (sp) sauce . Salad not so good so didn't eat much of it. Guess rabbit food isn't always so good.


Tired, all done, and all in.


August 12, Thursday
Got up and looked outside. Clouds, rain. Oh well. Gotta go. By the time I got on the road dressed in my snowpants and FX jacket and more, it was raining hard. I took off, and just pushed through. I had hard rain for quite a ways, then lighter rain. By the time I hit Grand Prairie it had quit, and was trying to get nice. By the time I rode around and around and around trying to find the Harley shop, and finally finding it, the sun had come out and it was nice.


I was there to get an oil change. The shop tried to move the bike but the security screamer wouldn't shut off. Glad it happened there. While I waited I decided to have my one meal for the day … Oriental food from a few doors down. Not so great. And it was nearly like pulling teeth to get them to wait on me … I was being insufferable … I wanted to take a buffet to go. Then I couldn't get plastic ware or the bill. Ya just gotta wonder about the service industry some times.


Sat in the shop to eat and finished off the cherries from the day before. I could hear my screamer going off every now and again in back while they were trying to get it all figured out. At 2 p.m. they came by and told me the bike was finished and they'd found the screamer issue. They ended up reprogramming the security fob/and whatever, and then it was fine.

My Miss Scarlet. She just likes to talk to me, I guess. I like the Grand Prairie shop. On the 2006 trip with Harvey and Zookeeper they fixed the stator on the 2002 Road King that I traded out in Fairbanks in 2006. They're friendly and hard-working …


I did not care for the shop in Calgary that I hit. Not so friendly. No service there, though.

Hit the road. The best weather I had all day was while I was sitting in the shop. Rode in and out of the rain the remainder of the day. I did stop in Dawson Creek to get a photo of the 0 mile post. Went to near Pink Mountain and spent the night. Met Wayne and Peggy from Indianapolis and spent a delightful couple of hours talking motorcycles, camping and traveling. They ride BMWs, and had done their rally and took the road to Alaska. They even did Top of the world Highway and the Arctic Circle.

Today was a first. I took the beginning photo for a blog I want to do on roadside memorials. I see them alongside the road and some are so memorable that I want to photograph them and put them somewhere that others can see them, too.

And so, so tired … all in.


Friday, August 13

Hit it early, at 6:45 a..m, which was really 7:45 once I gained the hour. Pink Mountain to Whitehorse, 749 miles. Beautiful, but cold. Air temp read middle of 0-30 for a long time. I was using my heated gear for the first time since leaving home in June. I saw sheep, five black bear (two sets of two and a single) and a hundred buffalo.


Great ride, lots of miles. But tired. A guy on a bike gave me a thumb's up as he passed me. He stopped along side the road later, and he never caught up. Not much traffic … a great day for running hard and fast.


I found a place in Whitehorse this time … thank goodness … not like when I came through going down the highway. I stayed at the Strattford Inn. Would you believe pink bathroom fixtures? I don't know that they made such a thing, and that I found them. I had to take a photo.

I was hungry, so I ordered a pizza and a Greek salad. Phone orders, pizza delivery and dinner in bed are a true luxury. It was great food, too.

I didn't stay up too late. I've got to get on the road and hit the shop at 9 … so I'm all in.


August 14, Saturday
Biker Bill's birthday … so I called him to wish him a good one. I then worked on the blog text for a while and finally got ready to go. I arrived at the shop to look for shirts at 8:52 a.m., only to discover it was closed for Discovery Day. Seems like every time I try to do something in Canada they are closed for some holiday. They seem to get way more than we do. Good thing I didn't need a tire … that had been the plan … to get one there if I needed it.


So I left and headed for Tok to meet up with my entourage, Rebecca, Tom and I didn't know who else might be coming. I'm thinking if they leave at 10 … and probably it'll be later, they'll stop for lunch, and they've probably forgotten about the 1 hour time change. I might be able to beat them to Tok.


Stopped to take a photo of a memorial, although I didn't realize it was one until I talked to a couple of ladies who knew the boy who died and his dad, or the person who raised him. It was interesting, and a huge memorial, with animal stones, something like a totem pole and a bench that they like folks to sit on … to meditate, relax, think.


I stopped for gas in Haines Junction, forgetting that I could get all the way to Destruction Bay before I needed to stop. Oh well. Filled in both places. I much prefer Destruction Bay to Haines, though.


Destruction Bay has this cop car cut out set outside of the town to slow the traffic. I get caught by it every time. A cardboard cop for the community that can't afford the real deal.

I moved along smartly. There wasn't much traffic on the road. The construction was just something to be dealt with … and I continued.


I was making some real tracks, not willing to stop to even remove my helmet once I passed the border. My mission was to get to Tok before them.

Arrived in Tok … no sign of my entourage. I went to the Golden Bear hotel. Still no sign of my entourage. I asked if they had been in … no. So I told the lady probably two rooms, so she held them. Then I went outside, and sat down with my computer. And I typed, and waited, and drank a Coke. And I waited.


I heard some bikes. Wasn't them. I waited. I heard bikes. It was them, Zookeeper leading, and bypassing the first entrance to the hotel. He made the second one. I greeted them, and told then it wasn't good having the greetee arrive before the greeters. Apparently Harvey called Zookeeper and asked where they were. Zookeeper told him Glenallen. Harvey told him I'd already gone through the border (good old Spot let him know where I was). Zookeeper asked how long ago, and Harvey told him 45 minutes to an hour. The entourage hauled ass, but it didn't work.

However, the redeeming quality was that Dave Ellis brought the red carpet … and people wonder why I'm the way I am. They encourage me … red carpet, royal guard, loyal subjects.


Dinner at Fast Eddy's, and a chat. It's great to have good friends.


We rode hard, we were tired, and then, we were all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment