Wednesday, November 14, 2012


Giddy up, let's go – October 27-28, 2012

Cattle drive … a vacation working, yes, I said working – physical labor, for someone else, driving about 950 cattle along a trail about 85 miles, from near Bryce Canyon in Utah to the north rim of the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Horses to be watered and fed, saddled, bridled and unsaddled, unbridled, tents to put up and take down – mostly in the dark and cold, a teepee (to pee in and do otherwise), a cook tent to eat in and pack a day lunch, dirt, dust, rocks, prickers (don't know all the plants), no showers. Does that sound like a vacation most people would take? No!!!

But to offset all of that … wonderful and hearty food by our camp chef, Mel, big, glorious, warm campfires every night, card playing, instrument players, singing and dancing around the fire, double-packet hot chocolates, scenery unlike any other that you can see because you aren't mostly on any road system that we would ordinarily travel, and people that we would not usually come into contact with, people who I no longer think of as “the company” but as friends that I hope and want to see again, people who “made” this vacation what it was … a visit to a place in time that we would never have been a part of, a close-knit group that became our community and family for a week-and-a-half.

With all that said, now I must give you the blow-by-blow … which could take multiple blog postings. While I did not have my computer with me, the intent was to write copious notes in my journal (given to me by Roz and Jerry … I have a second from Barry and Karen for when I run out of paper in this one, which promises to be in the next month or so). That way I would remember things that happened along the trail, because eventually days can run together and you can forget things that were important. Or even not important but still worth writing about.

The cattle drive started with me wanting to do something different. Most of my vacations are motorcycle-related and being of a more-mature age (not in my mind, only in my body), I figured it was time to start doing some other things. Voila! How 'bout a cattle drive? If Billy Crystal can do a movie “Cityslickers” and find joy and happiness doing something like that (okay, yes, it was a movie), why not me?

Sign up, I did, for a 10-day drive (might have shoulda thought that one through a little more). Lo and behold, there was someone else crazy enough to want to do the same thing … Flounder, AKA Bubbles, who is the girlfriend of my “brother,” Zookeeper.

Flounder and me at the airport; notice we don't really have much luggage.
As the time to leave drew near, we gathered everything we'd need … cold-weather gear (my waterproof and warmest riding boots and biggest jacket, gloves, warm socks, long underwear, hats, Hotties to put in my socks and gloves, to name just a bit of it), a sleeping bag (mine was vintage-1970s and goose-down-filled, given to me by my parents when I lived in Fairbanks and to keep in my car when I drove to Anchorage to visit), a bag liner which someone suggested and was probably the best single purchase I made for the trip, changes of underwear, sunscreen and my mascara and eyelash curler. I would not be seen outside of the tent without my “eyes.” And just in case, I also packed some makeup. You never know when you might need it.

The luggage just kept growing, but no one had said you were limited in what you could bring along. As it turned out, our luggage probably wasn't even in the top 5 of the most luggage brought by anyone.

Zookeeper delivered Flounder and me to the Anchorage airport the evening of Oct. 27. Everything was checked in and we went to go through security and head to the gate. Wait, there was a frozen yogurt place. Perhaps we should have one last frozen yogurt before hitting the trail. We didn't know up-front what we'd be eating, and we were going to be calorie-conscious while out for a week-and-a-half, perhaps losing a pound or two.

We finally got through security (without Birdie … we knew she didn't work that time of day), and went to the gate to await our flight.

Our flights were non-eventful, and we arrived in Las Vegas, awaiting the shuttle that would take us to St. George, Utah, and the Lexington Hotel, where we would spend the evening. We arrived early-afternoon so we could wander around a bit, have a last supper and get a good night's rest. Monday, Oct. 29, was the pick up day by the ranch and our first night of camping.

Las Vegas Airport, waiting to catch the shuttle to St. George.  We even avoided the slot machines that are everywhere, on every concourse, waiting to separate you from your heard-earned cash.
In the shuttle, riding at the back of the bus.

Out wandering around, we could see a beautiful Morman temple.  It was warm, so didn't walk to it.  Most likely it was way farther away than it looked.

Red rock and motorcycles.  A great temperature for riding ...
Monday morning gave us time to have a last breakfast (included with the senior-rate hotel; nothing like old-age to get you a better rate), which was full-on with hot and cold items, and a walk across the parking lot to a pie place, for that last dessert. The pie was awesome, but we couldn't hold enough to last us for 10 days. There was even a place called Tom's Deli, but it was closed so we couldn't give it a try.

At 1 p.m., we waited in the lobby for the ranch to pick us up. There were 12 of us waiting, a group of eight Austrians, two ladies from Holland and us, the lone Americans from Alaska. Five men, seven women, one smoker. From all appearances we had under-packed. Our luggage didn't hold a candle to some … but then we didn't have cases of beer, wine and whatever other alcohol was being loaded into the trailer. Lol, it didn't promise to be a “dry” time. But we had loaded up on snacks, just in case … almonds, apricots, granola bars, apples, a couple of yogurts.

Loading up at the hotel, getting ready to hit the trail.
The ride to the area in Alton, Utah, where we'd pick up the cattle was about three hours. At a gas station the luggage was transferred as it would be packed by a different vehicle from camp-to-camp each day, with the cook tent, benches and the teepee set up for us by the time we arrived. We had a last ice cream there.

She just would not stop.  Jumping up and down ... rebel!!
The trip was shaping up to be one of incredible scenery, day-after-day.  We were never disappointed.  That's why Utah is one of my very favorite states to ride in.

The teepee ... an important place to keep track of, but don't look forward to visiting nightly ... there's no telling what's out there during the night.  But I do have a flashlight with a great range.
Upon our arrival at the first camp, we all grabbed tents to erect and sleeping mats (which were about 2-inches thick and quite comfortable to sleep on). Flounder had a time with me setting up the tent, but she promised that by the end of the trip I'd be a pro at it. It's a good thing she knew what she was doing. I'd probably have been left at the first camp still trying to set it up.

Tent set up.  I was the official photographer.
Honest.  I really did learn how to set up this tent.
The tent was a Eureka-style, green in color. We set it up at one end of the camp, and the Holland ladies were close by. The Austrians set up their tents in a group at the other end of the camp. That was mostly how it was throughout the entire trip … their group and the four ladies.

At the corral.

Justin, the horse guy.  There was also Dustin, the cow guy.  It took us awhile to keep them straight.

Blondie and Flounder.
Then it was time to meet our horses, saddle up and go for a short ride. Flounder got Blondie, a big palomino which tested her mettle now and then since Blondie also had a mind of her own. She also was a great snacker, which fit right in with us. Come to find out the horse would eat almost anything, PB&J, apples, but not almonds. (I did a test.)


Sharing a few hay cubes.
My horse, Skywalker (who I called Luke), was one some of the kids had learned to ride on. But for this ride, he was perfect. He would do anything I asked him to do; he was mellow, stable, and best of all, restored some confidence in me in riding as the last horse I owned had a tendency to buck … and I didn't always stay on.

Turned out that Flounder and I were the least experienced in the riding department. But we managed to mostly stick our seats, and could gallop and trot as well … although maybe not as technically beautiful as others.

For those of us who are technology-challenged, who knew we'd meet up with a cowboy using a cellphone ... while riding!!  This is Stetson AKA Muscles.  Nicknames abounded on this trip.
There's nothing like a late-afternoon ride to get you in the mood for mind-boggling riding, a dusty trail and hours of saddle time.  We did not know that here.  Naive dudes and dudettes that we were.
The first night was a pot roast with vegetables, salad and a potato casserole. Yep, this trip was shaping up to be a weight-loss and fitness camp!! NOT!!!!! And someone had baked cookies. Oh dear.

First campfire.  A small one.  They got bigger each night, I do believe.
The first of many beautiful evenings with the sun shining on the red rock.
This mobile unit is where Chef Mel prepared scrumptious meals for us.  We early on coined the term "catered camping,"  and it comes complete with a dinner bell being rung to call us in.
Flounder plumping her bag and pillow, which was our clothes.

My pillowcase with clothes ... my pillow, and snuggling in getting ready for the first night of many "tent talks."  We discussed the ride, the people, what we liked, what we didn't, and the food.
A full moon, cold air, but stars that you can see forever. Life is good … the cowgirl way.

No comments:

Post a Comment