Sunday, November 25, 2012


Wednesday, October 31, Cattle drive, Installment 3,
up and at 'em

Breakfast is served.
Up and at 'em cowgirl. Today ended up being about a 9-hour ride. But I was still in the saddle. At this point I determined it was my boots causing my ankles to ache. I was wondering if it would be okay to ride in my sneakers. (I asked one of the guys and they said I could do what I wanted.)

We were joined by some of the families of the cattle owners and tour owners. Everyone who is guiding us on our trail excursion are Mormans, and it's nice to see people who are kind to each other, considerate and helpful to all. There are prayers before breakfast to send us safely on our way and to aid in our arrival at the end of the day, and a prayer before supper. It's A-okay with me, and I am enjoying the feeling of being a part of something bigger than just Flounder and me joining a group of folks to do some type of strange (to some) adventure.

Stetson, AKA Muscles, for wrangling a roped cow.  He's one of the young men on the drive who helped make our adventure so enjoyable.  Courteous, well-mannered and a pleasure to know, all of them.

Nice to have someone block for us.  (Flounder photo.)
Today we were crossing a highway, and there were sheriffs to block for us. That was pretty cool. Flounder and I were both given specific jobs to do. She blocked a small roadway and I was near the fence to help keep the cows moving from the pens out to the trail and across the road. Others were in the pen pushing them out and on … Yee haw, move along, cow. It was an awesome thing. We were living in the past, when cows, cowboys and cattle drives were the way of the land. Well, except for the sheriff's cars, of course.

Crossing with vehicles held up in both directions.  Ya gotta love modern conveniences on a cattle drive.  (Flounder photo.)
Then we were on the other side, and moving. The terrain was somewhat dusty, so we were eating dirt. I had brought a bandana, but never wore it. Don't like them.I'd also brought my motorcycle riding chaps. Didn't wear them either. Preferred to have the dust enter my nose and throat and permeate my clothes. Ha!!!

The road signs said we were headed to Coral Canyon. The beauty of Utah is never-ending, mind-boggling, awe-inspiring. I was so happy and excited to see things I'd never seen before, and I've traveled in Utah a lot. Seeing it from the back-end of a cow, on horseback, made for a special trip, one that could not be duplicated.

We waited while the cattle were gathered on the other side of the hill.  Stetson was going to take us to a red canyon, down the trail which we'd been pushing cattle.
Once the cattle had been driven up a hill where they were to graze for a bit, Stetson took us to a red rock canyon. There was more beauty for us to feast our eyes on as we saw it as only you can from horseback, or if you were hiking. The niche in the rocks led to narrow, high-walled red cliffs above us.

Red cliffs closing in on you is not for those with claustrophobia.

Flounder and me and our follower horse in one of the wide spots.

Marika riding between the red walls.
It was exhilarating to ride through, with our knees touching rock on either side if you got an inch or two too close. If you suffered from claustrophobia this ride was not for you, although you could look up, and high above see a sliver of daylight. The scenery does not end, and changes from moment to moment. How lucky am I to be on this trip, seeing what I'm seeing, experiencing something that only those from the past mostly experienced? I know how lucky I am to be able to do these things. Yahoo!!!

On the way back out to rejoin the cattle.
One more stop to photograph red rocks.
Cowboy (Coca Cola as they call him) found a matched deer shed today. Was that cool or what? Now I want to see if I can find antler shed. I should be so lucky. I saw lots of tracks, but nothing bleached and white, nothing but bones and probably not deer ones either. Although I did see a skeleton that appeared to be some type of big lizard. It was rather cool looking laying in the dirt undisturbed by anything. It wasn't the type of thing I'd see while riding along a paved road on a motorcycle, so there is even more to be thankful for while traveling in the old way.

We were told the first two days in the saddle are the worst. But it's odd that Flounder and I aren't having any bad reactions … soreness, or problems with being in the saddle for so many hours each day. The only problem I've had was my ankles. And I took care of that. Sneakers rock!!!

Cattle, good food, good company and a never-ending source of beautiful scenery.  Wow!  I should have done a cattle drive a long time ago.
I don't feel dirty enough yet to be missing my shower, and I've not made a single move toward my mascara and eyelash curler. At least one of the Austrians was washing his body and feet. I never thought of that. I only used water to wash my face and brush my teeth. I guess I'm just a dirty girl.

Chef Mel had one of my favorite suppers … spaghetti. How did he know? HA!!! So far, so good. No food I don't care for. But then, it would be hard to find that as I like most everything.

Then it was cowgirl bedtime and tent talk. We realize there is a communication issue as some of the Austrians don't speak English and it will continue to be a challenge to follow the drive instructions and communicate with others when there's a language barrier. There are a couple who do speak and translate to the others, but there appears to either be something lost in the translation or a deliberate choice to ignore the instructions and do what they want. My issue with that is these are not our cows and we should all be considerate enough to each other and to follow the directions of those who own the cattle. After all, Dustin is the cow boss, and therefore, our boss.

I'm not the best at following directions either … due to a very short attention span. But I'm working on that, and ask questions often to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Not only is getting the cattle safely to the other end my priority since it's my job, I want these people to respect what I've done and appreciate my help (even if I am a paying guest).

Even scenery from the teepee is beautiful.
And then there's the need to get rest for the next day. Cowgirl, check the gorgeous moon and then hit the sack!!

No comments:

Post a Comment