Friday, July 18, 2014

Catching up before starting the next great adventure

There were a few more days left on the March/April trip.  It’s hard to finish one when you know you’re embarking on another but it’s time.

Any day is a good day to see Snoopy and Spike.  Wikieup, Arizona.

On Wednesday (March 26) Jaz and I rode up to Kingman, Arizona, meet Dewey, Chuck and Jaz’s friend Karl.  We encountered some big rolling tumbleweeds, and ended up packing a bit more on the bikes than we’d expected. 


Tumbleweeds 'r' us.

We met up and had to hit the local Harley shop, of course.  But when on a Harley, you have a tendency to stop at the shops.  I know there’s always a clean bathroom and a shirt waiting with my name on it.  We made our visit and headed to Karl’s to spend the night.  What a great day as usual; it’s always a good one when you meet up with old friends, and make new.  And the weather is perfect riding at this time of year.

On Thursday morning (March 27), after coffee of course, Karl played tour guide and we rode around Lake Havasu to see the London Bridge. 

Perfect weather for a visit to London Bridge.

And we're always ready to pose for a photo.
The day’s ride continued to Oatman to take a look around the little tourist town and see all the donkeys.  They run free, and there’s a great gimmick for feeding them … let the tourists buy alfalfa cubes and feed them.  Of course, I was right on that. 

And Karl is falling in line, buying cubes.  Hey dude, a donkey could starve here.  Hurry up.

What about me?

Psssst.  Buy us food.  Buy us food.  Hey, you listening?
And someone will ... Karl, Karl, feed me.
 

Hey, buddy.  You got anymore in there? 

Haha, ya'll are goofy.  We're so cute you just have to feed us.  But thank, you.

The donkeys are loads of fun to feed, and they follow you, and sometimes get a little pushy.  I didn’t have my hand just right and one, in his eagerness, nipped me. 
Bad donkey. 

I tried to parcel it out evenly, but they don't believe in that.

 
Hey, lady.  You got something for me?
There was a baby who is still feeding from mom, so we weren’t to feed it.  It was a cutie, and had a sign on its head saying don’t feed.

Yep, I got the sign.  Don't feed me.  But I'm so cute. 

An ya'll come back now, ya hear???
Nuff said.

One of Dewey’s “must see’s” was the Hoover Dam, so off we went, over the bridge and down to parking.  We walked across the dam, and as always, it’s a photo opportunity waiting to happen.
It's always a wonder to see huge, man-made things 
Bigger, better.  Hoover Dam rocks.  I've seen it multiple times but it always amazes.

I love this bridge.
It's a long way down.
I think Dewey likes visiting the U.S. 
There's a lot of water there.
 
As long as we were so close, Dewey said he’d kick himself if he didn’t get to Las Vegas.  So we separated from Karl as he had to get home, got rooms in Boulder City (where Jaz and I’d stayed before), dropped our gear and headed to Vegas. 

Fremont Street is always rocking.

And the shows are always fascinating to watch.


And there's always something interesting to see.
Yep, we're in the West.

We just came into the Strip at dusk so the lights were brilliant, twinkling, lighting up the sky.  Dewey’s head was like something out of the movie, “The Exorist.”  His head was spinning round and round trying to take in everything he was seeing.  It was worth fighting Las Vegas traffic just to see Dewey’s reaction and to see him find his “angels.”

Dewey's Angels.

Or maybe they should change to little devil outfits?

Then it was time for more separation.  On Friday, Jaz headed back to the San Francisco area and I rode with the boys back toward Phoenix, and north of there for them.  It was a great ride and I found my way back to Joe and Verlie’s.  It was going to be the end of my trip now, and I was saddened yet excited to be heading home.

My plans were to go home on Monday as I like to spend a weekend with Verlie.  We gathered and squeezed oranges for juice and I was drinking it until I thought my eyes would turn orange.  It was just so good and we don’t get that at home.  I couldn’t seem to get enough and was drinking huge pitchers of it each day.

Orange juice ... yum.
Then Monday arrived and off to the airport we went.  It was not a good day to be flying out if you were riding passes.  I spoke with Hobbs and he said Wednesday would be better.  A reprieve.  Verlie came and got me, and I got hold of my riding buddies.  Hey, Dewey, wanna go ride Tuesday?  I’ve got an extra day.  Woo hoo. 

And look who we hooked up with ... the Hoka Hey Cowboy.  Yahoo.  It's always a pleasure to see and ride with Mac.  And that's all I can say about that.

And ride we did, towards Globe and the mountains which is one of my favorite rides.  But all too soon it was over and on Wednesday I really did head home, and made my final approach into Anchorage.  But now, it was April and riding time at home … Home … where the Beagles roam … all is good in my world. 

Stay tuned for my next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment