Monday, August 31, 2015

Out of the madness and back on the road

It's time to get this trip finished, blog-wise, as, you guessed it, I'm gone again.

On Tuesday, August 4, I woke late, and saw that Biker Bill was online.  I phoned home and chatted for a bit, letting him know I was heading out.  The deer were scarce this morning (did they know I was leaving?), and there was a heavy fog coming in over the mountains.  I watched as I talked with him.  It was moving quickly and by the time we were finished talking it was more than halfway down the hill, and continuing to move in quickly, hiding the mountains on the other side of the valley from sight.

Coffee is nearly always the first order of the day, and I had about three cups.  I always seem to delay getting on the road when I’m with friends.  I’m enjoying myself, chatting, and yet, know if I want to make any miles at all, I’d better get going.  But I did run up to the neighbor’s house around the corner to see the buffalo she’d painted that were standing in her yard.  What a great view from her window … buffalo butt!!!  They’re awesome.
Nothing like a herd of buffalo in your front yard.

This buffalo is dedicated to miners.  Note the mine shaft near the back of the head.

This looks like a rainbow to me.  The colors are beautiful.
Lenny had changed out my bike seat for me.  I’d changed the original police bike air seat for an extended reach, traded it out for a mid-range reach seat, and now have a regular seat from one of his bikes on Harlow.  It’s been better riding, and seems to fit me better, but now the true test is coming … about 1,300 miles.  It will probably be more as I usually make a wrong turn, or two, adding miles to my trips. 

My goal was to be on the road between 8 and 9 a.m.  I made it by 10.  I’d said my good byes to Missy, Lenny and Sam, the yellow Lab. 
Sam was bored with my travel preparations.
I always tear up when saying good bye to my friends, because my friends are family, and I never know for sure when I might see them again.  Missy is now my official photographer and photographed me each day, posting the photos on Facebook so people knew what I was doing and where I was.  My last ride of the visit heading out of their driveway was no exception.  Good bye, my dear friends, good bye.  What a great time we had, and I got to share a little bit of Missy’s first crazy Sturgis with her and Lenny.  Thank you for letting me be a part of that.  See you next trip. 

I knew I had to get several hundred miles away from the Sturgis area if I expected to find a room for the night.  I made it to Riverton, Wyoming.  While it might not have been as far as I’d have liked, it was far enough to get a room.  Yahoo.  That’s always a plus, especially this year when it has seemed more difficult unless you call earlier in the day and make a reservation.  That means work … googling lodging, looking at photos and reviews, and making a call.  You still can’t be 100 percent sure of what you’ll get.  But it’s been okay to really great, except for that one crappy Super 8 on Russell Street in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

On Wednesday, August 5, I’d decided to make it to Baker City, Oregon, meaning I’d finish crossing Wyoming, and get on through Idaho, about a 650-or-so-mile day.  Reaching Baker City didn’t happen.  While I got through Wyoming and across Idaho, my goal was about 75 miles out of reach as I got halted by wild fires.  I had been running I-84, making miles along the white line.  I saw some signs that talked about road closures due to fires.  I talked to people and heard folks were being turned back at Ontario, Oregon, which is just across the Idaho-Oregon border.  I figured I’d better hurry and get a room as there were a lot of people trying to get through and since they couldn’t continue, they’d be looking for rooms.  Yep.  I was quick enough, and as a line formed behind me, everything worked out and I was in for the night, and hoping that the highway would be open in the morning. 
While I needed to make some miles, I made time for a few photos , including a few in places I've been before with Biker Bill.  Grand Tetons.

We've also been through Jackson Hole, Wyoming, a few times.

This guy came up and wanted a photo.  He showed me a badge, a cop.  He liked my police bike.
In Idaho, there was time for a photo or two at Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve.
Once again I’d mostly skirted any major rain storms, and was liking that a lot.  I think I can say that so far, I’ve not ridden in the rain.  Showers, even heavy ones, don’t count as they are quick to come and also go.  I’d stopped to let one go by, and ended up riding in between the one that passed, and another one coming in behind me.  My rate of speed for that was perfect.  I believe that’s because I’m pure of heart mostly.  Woo hoo.  Life is good, even if there is an occasional bit of rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment