Saturday, August 1, 2015

A break in Belgrade

I think it's odd I'm staying off Jackrabbit Lane but all I've seen are cottontails.
On Thursday, July 30, I was up before Jan left for work.  Then I tended to some chores, like washing clothes, working on and posting a blog, going for a neighborhood walk.  And drinking coffee … three big cups, more than usual.  I was wired and it was time to get out there.
My walk was quite pleasant, with lots of flowers in the residential neighborhoods.

These photos are all for you, Biker Bill.

Didn't know that a short walk would find so many antlers laying around.

They're hiding in the bushes.

They're up on the walls.

They're under the trees.

They're laying in corners.

They're everywhere.
But this one is not for you, Biker Bill.  It's for me.  And that ain't no bull!!!
Here's one more.  The Marines are always there.
I got ready to go as I had some errands to do.  Harlow needed a bath, I needed some provisions for the road (Kind Bars, Propel), I needed to go by Yellowstone Harley-Davidson to get my running light replaced.  That turned into getting them both replaced as the second one was now burned out, too.

When I arrived at Yellowstone HD, the guy who sold me my current bike remembered me.  I’d not been to this shop for two years.  He’s a nice guy, and even remembered my former bike as one of the guys from the shop ended up buying it.  He’s modified it some and absolutely loves it.  I’m glad she went to a good home. 

From there I decided to run west on I-90 for a while.  I don’t know why I’d choose to run an interstate for fun, but I did.  I saw a sign for a bakery about 20 miles down the road, so off I went.  I found this place hoping to get something to contribute to the barbecue I was going to later.  I found other things, too.  Huge cinnamon rolls, breads, and so on.  But I could only handle so much.

On the way to the bakery I saw a sign for the Madison Buffalo Jump.  That was a place Biker Bill had taken me in 1994 when we were heading to North Dakota and Sturgis.  I decided I wanted to revisit the place.

On my way back toward Belgrade, I took the buffalo jump exit.  The sign said it was a rural unpaved road.  Wonderful.  But I wanted to see.  The road I was traveling was not well-traveled.  But it was a nice gently curving road, with some ups and downs, one of those fun-to-ride ones.  I got to the turnoff for the jump and it turned into gravel.  I was already on it when it turned into pea gravel.  Aw, crap.  I hate this stuff.  Now I was committed to more than two miles of it.  Aw, crap.  I couldn’t get turned around because it’s not a wide road, and I figured if I stopped my feet might go out from under me.  Continue on, girl.

It's a cool place to visit if you have the time and you're in Montana.
I got to the jump and the drive way was a bit better but the parking lot was pea gravel.  I'm glad it was large so I could get turned around easily, although I was apprehensive.  I hate gravel.  I got stopped and saw the trail up to the jump.  I really wanted to walk up there, but I didn’t have the time, so I just shot a few photos and a quick selfie to post for Biker Bill. 



The Madison Buffalo Jump State Park is 638 acres and sits at an elevation of 4,554 feet.  The park is named for a canyon cliff used by Native Americans as a buffalo jump.  Herds of bison were stampeded over the cliff as an efficient means of slaughter.

I also remember that on the ride he and I took in there, that we saw a snake in the road.  Another thing I hate.  I did not see any snakes this time.  I was glad I’d stopped but just wished there’d been more time.  Next trip.

Back to Jan’s I went, arriving at the house at the same time she did.  We got changed and went over to Don and Donna’s for dinner.  Holy smoke, this guy can cook.  We had grilled pork chops with some rub he puts on them that was out of this world.  And loaded, I mean LOADED, baked potatoes … broccoli, bacon, cheese.  I’ve not been eating big dinners, but on this one I cleaned my plate, practically licking it.  And there was dessert, but I could only choke down a few bites.
 
From left, Jan, Don and Donna.  I've known Jan for more than 40 years.  That's a great friend.  I only met Don and Donna a few years ago, but they, too, are the kind of friends you want in your life.
We visited for a while, then it was time to say goodbye to these friends and head to the barn.  Jan and I visited til about midnight and then we had to get to bed.  She had to be to work at 7 a.m., and I had to try to get on the road in the morning at a reasonable hour as I was hoping to meet up somewhere with the Hoka Hey Cowboy (Mac). 
Nighty night.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment