Thursday, July 30, 2015

Pushing north

Last night I was in Fairview, Utah, at a little motel where I seemed to be the only resident for the night.  I don’t know why.  The rooms are large and clean, the bathroom immaculate.  Oh well.  All I know is I had a short day because I didn’t want to be too close to Salt Lake City.

Today, Wednesday, July 29, when I woke up, I discovered there was one more resident at the little motel.  Oh well.  Maybe it’s because there’s no coffee in the room.  It’s a good thing I had a cup and some tea bags with me.  At least there was a microwave in the room.
This worn Batman cup has been with me for thousands of miles.  And it's useful, as shown today.  Earl Grey tea, the most caffeine one I have.  Good thing or I might still be in that motel in bed.
I had to suffer through coffee from a gas station.  Oh, the agony of it all.  I’ve been used to Kaladi Bros. coffee that Jaz had brought and prepared on the road.  Being that she’d be up WAY TOO early for me, she’d bring me coffee in bed in an attempt to get me up and moving early.  That did not work for her.  I enjoyed coffee every day and worked on my blogs.  That’s so you’d all have something to read.  Haha!!
I saw the signs long before I got there.  Elk jerky, buffalo jerky.  I decided that would be lunch.  This is Bill.  We had a very nice conversation before I got on the road again.  He kept giving me samples.  I finally told him to stop because I'd be full and wouldn't buy any.  But he was a charmer.  He said he thought I was about 18 years younger than I am.  Woo hoo.  Yep.  He's been around women a long time, and learned something, if he knows to say things like that.
Anyway, I’m working my way to Bozeman today.  The short way says it’s 501 miles, running a lot of Interstate 15.  I’m not doing that.  We’ll see where I end up.  Hopefully Bozeman for the next two nights to visit with friends. 
I stopped to photograph these old wagons.

I don't know that I'd ride in the one on the right.

I'd sure ride in this one.  Fly those flags proudly!!!
It turned out to be 570 miles because I should have been going to Belgrade.  I knew that.  Haha!!!  It was only 10 miles out of the way.  Yep, racking up those miles.  Beside which I turned the wrong way going to Jan’s house … TWICE.  Sure am glad I have a GPS on my phone.  It’s a Smart phone.  There’s a reason I have it.  But, in my defense, I couldn’t see the sign on the one street as it was hidden in the bushes.  I saw it on my return after turning around.
Afton, Wyoming.  No burger at Rulon Gardner's place this time.  Biker Bill and I did this route and ate burgers there a few years ago.  I love this arch. 

I leapfrogged with this group a couple of times.  There were about 15 of them or so, and they all appeared to have the same jacket.  I got out of there as some also appeared to have parking issues.
 But besides that, I spent a great day of riding.  I got on the road about 7:30 a.m., which is early for me, but I knew I had a lot of road to cover, and most of it would be back and secondary roads that makes for slower travel.  But it’s so worth it.  At the end of the day it was about 60 miles more … I can do that.  (I excluded the roundabouts at the end.)

Jan and her friend, Donna, were getting hair cuts, so I beat them to the house by about 25 minutes.  Perfect timing on my part.  I was unloaded and just sitting back, Facebooking, of course. 

We spent some time visiting, and then to bed, to bed.  Jan had to get up and go to work.  Darn!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment