Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Wonderful visit, wonderful friends

I got up from my evening spent in the bungalow.  It was Monday, July 27, and I had to get on the road, heading to Montana.

At the appointed time of 8 a.m., I wandered over to the Big House, where Kirk and Eloise had coffee.  She was making blueberry muffins and had fresh cantaloupe.  It was more than I expected.  All I wanted was a bed and a visit with friends that I’d not seen in 13 years.  Okay, okay.  I know I saw Kirk a few days ago, but this was the real visit, with both of them.
Every photo I took has both Kirk and Eloise's eyes closed.  Even Mugs' eyes are closed.  Maybe everyone is still sleeping.  They are still the wonderful, lovely people I've always known and I so enjoyed my short time with them.
They are former Alaskans, traveled in a fifth-wheel for multiple years, purchased this property and built a house, and remodeled the bungalow where I slept.  It was cozy and I loved the place.  There’s also a barn and a few other outbuildings.  Why?  Cuz there’s toys, that’s why.

Mugs is so very cute ... and quite photogenic.

I love his coloring.
All too soon I knew I had to get on the road.  I’d stay and talk forever, but daylight was burning and they had things to do, too. 

They pointed me in the right direction, instructed me how to get through town, and I did it.  There were no parking lot tours today either.  Yahoo.  That’s two days in a row.

Highway 50 was my route.  Jaz and I had done this going west, twice actually, so this was a new road to me.  I was seeing it going east

By the time I reached Fallon, Nevada, I had noticed my running light was not reflecting in the cars ahead of me.  I pulled over and checked.  Sure enough.  One of them is out.  And not a Harley shop on my route today, or even tomorrow as far as I know.  Of course, that could change.

Down the road I went.  It’s a lonely one, Number 50.  There weren’t many cars.  There were no animals except a few cows.  And then, there were three of us … an 18-wheeler and a car in the heading west lane and me in the heading east lane.  That’s it.  You could see for miles.  And what did the car do?  Decide to pass, of course.  I slowed down.  You’re passing now?  Seriously?  Good grief.  What an idiot.  Nothing out there, but he had to pass when I’m there.  You just have to shake your head at the asses on the road. 

I went by a place where people had put stones to say names or other things.  Nothing obscene.  That's unusual.
And on I went on this lonely road.  It’s lonely up until nature calls.  Then there was lots of traffic going both ways.  I finally got everybody out of my line of vision front and back, and I stopped.  Mission accomplished.  Until I looked up and saw what appeared to be a camera.  What?  I think there’s some military thing back in there.  At least I figure they won’t be putting it on UTube.

On and on.  Then off to my left there was something flying.  I thought it was a bird but it was sure going fast.  It came up even to me, low and not too far above my head.  There was no noise, but it had to be a plane of some sort.  But it was so small.  It kept going, passed me and headed off into the distance, and I lost sight of it.  A drone?  Cuz I had a nature call??  Very strange.

I had stopped for lunch in Austin, Nevada, the town where Jaz and I stayed several nights ago.  While I was there I made a reservation in Ely at a hotel I’d seen when we’d come through.  I arrived, and immediately met some folks from California.  They invited me to come to dinner. 

I saw this ladybug in a yard on my walk this evening.

This dog was letting the neighborhood know I was there.
Jaz and I had seen wide streets like this in Delta, Utah.  Now I'm seeing them again in Ely  Are they for alien aircraft landings?  It seems odd to have such wide streets.
After a walk, I met up with the Californians and wandered across the street for some dinner.  Turns out I’ll travel with them tomorrow.  Why not?  We’re all going the same way for a bit.

The Californians were leaving at 7 a.m., Tuesday, July 28.  Some were going to meet for breakfast at 6:30.  Not for me.  Coffee in the room. 

I was packed and ready to go on time, ran to get gas, ate a Kind bar.  Then we were off.  It was interesting.  Each leg one of them led, so it changed with each stop.  I was lucky enough to leave them in Salina, Utah, before they got the idea I should lead on a leg of the journey.  Ha!!!  They don’t know they could end up with multiple parking lot tours and maybe even have their destination change from Green River, Utah, for the night to Key West, Florida. 

In Salina we all had lunch together and then I headed north.  It had been a fun time while it lasted, but I needed to get north.  Our paths may cross again.  I exchanged email addresses with Vicky -- Spyder Lady who is 77 and rides a Spyder since she’d had an accident after riding Harleys for years, and Trike Mike cuz, duh, he rides a trike.  So now there's Trike Mike, Two Bike Mike, Fireman Mike and Sidecar Mike.  There's another old Mike name out there, Mustard Mike, but we don't use that one anymore.
From left, Tom, Spyder Lady, Trike Mike and Marcel
Traveling through Manti, Utah, and saw this temple.  Had to take a photo.
I ended up off the road for the night in Fairview, Utah, way earlier than I’d thought but I didn’t want to get much closer to Salt Lake City before stopping.  Tomorrow’s a new day and I’ll push harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment