Monday, July 6, 2015

South Dakota ... I've been here before

On July 1, we were headed to Custer, South Dakota, hoping we’d arrive in a timely manner, and hoping to stay with friends who had just moved there in May.  I especially wanted to stay as we had been promised deer sightings and I do love to see the wildlife.

The bad thing about traveling without a real plan is that you don’t give much notice to people who have offered a place to stay.  I usually only have 8-12 hours … maybe.  Sometimes less.  I believe in this case, Lenny and Missy had about 12 hours.  But they were willing to put up with us.

This looked like something out of some futuristic movie to me and I just didn't realize what it was.

Later I saw a sign, Thunder Basin Coal Mine.  Wow.  The land is torn up for miles, there are hundreds of railroad cars, and miles of track to transport the coal to the power plants.  The left over land is like from the moon, desolate, dry.
Jaz and I had a great day of riding some super roads.  South Dakota is a great state to ride in and I've been through it a number of times.  After all, it's home to Sturgis, the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, all fun places to ride and visit.
Today brought a few deer and quite a number of antelope.  My favorite antelope sighting was of one that was neck deep in the grass that was swaying alongside the road.  The only thing sticking up was his head and horns.  The grass completely covered his body and I only spotted him because he moved. 
This mama antelope has three babies.  When I took the photo I didn't realize it and only saw the third off to the left after reviewing photos for the day.  I was thrilled although it's not a 100 percent awesome shot.
We arrived in Custer, South Dakota, and stopped at a gas station.  I called Lenny and he came to get us.  Well, he and Sampson, the big 130-pound yellow Lab.  They arrived in a green classic car, the top down, Lenny driving and Sampson a close side kick.  It was great to see him, and meet Sam.  What a character that dog is. 
Sam, will sit for treats.
The house Lenny and Missy live in is only a few blocks away and up we went, up a gravel road, and up a gravel driveway.  Jaz started to turn around next to the house and of course, I’m already thinking I don’t like gravel.  Lenny motioned us to go into the shop.  It was dark in there so I couldn’t see where I was going.  Once I was inside, wow, it was huge.  In fact, I believe it was bigger than my first house when I moved back to Alaska.  Perfect parking.  AND, it has a pit so Lenny can drive over it and change oil, or whatever, on his cars. 

Lenny found this old skull on the property.  I was properly impressed.
Missy was working and wouldn’t get home until 9 p.m.  We sat and visited, catching up.  I think I talked more to Lenny that night than I had in the several years I’ve known him.  It was great.  When Missy got home, we talked some more, until finally, I was talked out, and my eyes were slamming shut.  But, we did see the promised deer.
One of the promised deer ... isn't she a beauty?
The morning of Thursday, July 2, we got up and readied ourselves for the next leg of our journey.  Lenny was more than the perfect host, serving up bacon and eggs, cantaloupe and orange juice.  What a feast.  All complete with more chatting … how do we find even more things to talk about?

Lenny and Missy’s place is perfect, set next to the side of a hill with beautiful large trees all around.  They look out over a meadow where the deer come wandering through, and I fell in love with this place, and this area.  It’s cool, it’s gorgeous, it’s green, and I’m told there are no mosquitoes.

All too soon we had to say good bye and get on the road as we had long day ahead of us, a lot of miles to ride as we needed to be in St. Paul, Minnesota, the following day.
Sam is the life of the party and you just kind of revolve around him  He wasn't interested in sitting nicely for us.
The road was good to us today, and we got nearly across the state of South Dakota, ending up in Huron.  A few hundred more miles and we’ll be within shouting distance of Garrison Keillor, the reason we’re going to St. Paul.

Flowers are everywhere here and I can't resist a photo or two, especially of these when the color is so brilliant.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment