Sunday, August 25, 2013

Finishing one trip; starting another

Friday, July 19 – the finishing of the first trip

My new friends were going to get on the road about 9 a.m., but I elected to stay to catch up on some blogging. By 11:30 a.m. I was out of the room, packed and on the bike, wandering around, going the wrong way. I wanted to go to Cracker Barrel since I'd seen the sign and figured I could do grilled catfish one more time. But, as usual, I got in the wrong lane, and it took a few miles to get back there. Yep, racking up those miles.

The catfish tasted great as always, along with the salad, carrots and biscuits. Then it was time to get back on the slab.

It was warm, and I was only running about 70 mph, a bit under the speed limit. Cars, passed me, vans passed me, trucks passed me. Okay. It was time to step it up … to 80 and just get around things, settle in and ride.

The 140 miles or so to Bozeman and the dealership where Jan works finally passed. I was there. I dropped off my gear, went to a car wash to wash the bike and then headed to the dealership to see if I could drop it off early for its service. Yep.

Jan picked me up and home we went. A knock on the door and in entered Don and Donna, friends of Jan's and now mine. My bike will stay with them after the service and I get back to pick it up.

On Saturday, Jan and I picked up Donna and we went to Summerfest at Sacajawea Park, to listen to a group they like called the Bop-a-dips. They play classic rock and in my mind, the group did rock it.

Summerfest ... sun, cold drinks and great music ... of the era I enjoy.
A corn dog, a couple of lemonades to hold us over, a little shopping, chairs and an umbrella and great music. All made for a fun afternoon of sister bonding.

Then it was on to dinner after a stop to pick up Donna's cousin, Tootie, and meeting Don at Ted Turner's Steakhouse. Yep, the real Ted. TV TNT Ted. Dinner was good, but we had to wait and wait and wait. The waiter returned multiple times, but not with our dinners. The manager came by, still no dinner. FINALLY!!! The food was mostly excellent and I enjoyed a virgin huckleberry margarita. And … the manager comped our meal … thank you , Teddy. I enjoyed your restaurant and your food.


Tootie, Jan, Donna and me ... waiting to get in at Teddy's.
Don likes to dance, so off we went to a bar (non-smoking, yay). And dance we did, although it wasn't the music we would have preferred. Still, we had a great evening, afternoon, day. But it was late, and we were tired. Home, Jeeves. (I was Jeeves.)

Don, Tootie and Big John, the lead singer from the band my friends like.
On Sunday Jan and I stayed home. We continued to talk, we watched television and she introduced me to shows I'd not watched before. Oh dear. I don't need to have any more shows to watch. And she fixed me dinner … steak cooked just right, broccoli with cheese sauce and a baked potato. My friends treat me way too well. I gotta get home … there's just too much great food here. What a great day, though. I needed that. Jammies, television, food. Spell R E L A X I N G!
July 22, and all too soon my vacation was over and I was packing and heading to the airport.

August 16, the beginning of the second trip … the road to Milwaukee … the 110th   ... Stay tuned ...

No comments:

Post a Comment