Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Milwaukee-bound

Wednesday, August 21

And we were off, Birdie at Number 1 left, me at Number 1 right, the position where I most like to ride. Then it was Jim, Sherie and Robin. Birdie, Jim and Robin all have communications so the line up really did make sense.

The destination for the day was Red Deer. We got there using some scenic routes, on purpose, and it was just a nice ride, but cold. Sure did make me think of home. Seems the last few days we've been riding cold. I did find the plug in for my electric vest, and made good use of it for a bit.

Once again there were some casualties. Sherie's LED $500 (or maybe only $400) headlight glass just shattered, a bee, a rock. Whatever it was, there wasn't much left of the lense cover. The headlight still worked although she needed to get it fixed at some point, especially if there'd be any night riding.


It might be hard to see but all of the glass in the middle is gone, with only some remaining around the outter edges.

Although I'd been to the Red Deer shop on my way to meet the group, do you think I could remember where it was? No!!! But I knew when we ended up in a field that it wasn't the right spot. Haha!!! Another GPS Trickster. Must be of the Raven Clan in Alaska.

Finally we were back on the interstate, and got to the shop a half hour before closing. We made good use of our time there.


Kalispell is our destination for the day (Thursday, Aug. 22). There's a big party there for the Rogue Riders, catered, at the hotel. Wow!!! Who knew all this was going on? I'd not checked on all of this when I did not sign up originally to come on the ride, and wasn't paying attention later. I was just going where I was told, doing what I was told. I know. Hard to imagine.

I learned a lot about Sherie last night. She did the original Hoka Hey in 2010, the one from Florida to Homer, 9,000 miles in 11 days for her. That's impressive, so it was interesting to talk with her and find out her thoughts on it. I'd been a bit sceptical (sp) about the whole ride, but she thought it had been interesting and a great thing to be on the first one, although there was a lot of rule-changing as they went, and it wasn't as organized as it could have been. Maybe they needed to use an event planner?

The line to the border patrol building just crawled.
We got to the border crossing and there was a line of cars that seemed to go forever. You couldn't even see the building where you showed your passport and all. And it was hot. We baked in the sun for an hour waiting, crawling, moving forward a few feet at a time. I'd never had this issue when crossing before.

I spoke to the biker in front of us. He said it wasn't usually like that. I talked to the guy in the car behind us who was just going to check his mail. He said it wasn't usually like that. Hmmmm. What's going on?

The biker in front of us got called in to have his bike checked over. We told the border patrol he wasn't part of our group. Robin got her bike pulled in to be checked over. Random? So, she sits in the shade waiting while they go through her bike. We suffer out in the heat, waiting. Who was the luckiest one here? Robin, sitting in the shade. Glad it wasn't me pulled over. I had my contraband for my good friend, Daisy Corn.

But there were some nice looking deer laying by the border fence. American deer, or Canadian deer? I know not.

All in velvet.

We followed the Road to the Sun in Glacier National Park. While we didn't do much (or any) stopping, it was still a beautiful highway. The traffic was bumper-to-bumper in some places, so you really had to keep an eye on it rather than gawking at the beauty of the park. The trials and tribulations of a biker.


What's a little park riding without some construction and gravel.  Birdie just sailed on through.


When you had time to look, there was beauty everywhere.  Sure am thankful to have a pocket camera in addition to my good one.

Narrow roads, beautiful scenery and two lanes make for a great ride.


For those without a car or a motorcycle, this can be your mode of transportation, with a tour guide, too.
The arrival in Kalispell was timely and we got ready for dinner, wearing our Rogue Rider shirts. In Anchorage when I decided to buy someone else's ticket I also purchased one of the shirts so I'd kind of fit in.


The Rogue Riders.
Sherie, Jan and Birdie with the Alaska State flag and the chapter flags.
Robin and Jim, smiling as always.
Father, daughter.  Enjoying the trip and having some quality time together.
Kenny, Tony, Howard and Paul ... some of the boys.

Sherie, Birdie and Taren, from Milwaukee who had a bike shipped to Alaska and is joining us on the ride.

Dinner was great, and the hotel did an awesome job of it. We all had plenty to eat, more than plenty, in fact. And then I had to go to bed. Too much food and fun.

Friday's ride (August 23) was to end at the Billings Harley shop, with yet another party. Could a person ever get tired of parties? I think not. Well, maybe. But not yet.

We rode in mostly smoke all day. The forest everywhere seems to be burning and the smell sometimes is nearly overpowering. The roads, though, are wonderful as we've taken a few back ones here and there.

There was smoke everywhere, sometimes so thick you could hardly see the hills in the distance.
We stopped in Helena, Montana, to have lunch with Robin's sister. When possible, you always try to work in a visit with a relative or close friend since you don't know when you'll be that way again.

Don't they look like sisters?  It was a very nice visit but too soon we were back on the road.
But, we overstayed our lunch allotment of time, and arrived late in Billings. Dia chastised us, nicely and with a smile, but I was determined that I'd not be late again, oh no!!!

The Beartooth shop had a great spread for us … ribs, beans, slaw, potato salad and corn bread. It was so tasty. And yes, to make up for being late, I bought another shirt. But when haven't I bought a shirt at one of the dealerships?

No comments:

Post a Comment