Sunday, August 25, 2013

The road to Milwaukee and the 110th

August 16, the road to Milwaukee … and the 110th anniversary of Harley-Davidson

Back to the airport, back to Belgrade and back to my bike. This time Don (Donna's husband) picked me up at the airport. Donna was in Great Falls visiting family, so Jan, Don and I went out to dinner. This time Uncle Ted did not buy. We went to a place called Bey's. Burgers, fries, the good stuff.

Don always wants to pay for everything, but I was determined that wouldn't happen this time. When the waitress came, she tried to hand the bill to him and he kept telling her it was his. I stood up, made a grab for it and got between the two of them. Oh yeah, baby, I got that tab. Haha!!! I guess the waitress had a very surprised expression on her face. Oh well. Don't expect I'll be going back there anytime soon.

On Saturday Don and I rode to Ennis to go to a gun show. He likes guns; I like guns. I found the most beautiful concealed-carry purse, leopard print. And some ammo. A gal's gotta be prepared, you know.

Is there anything finer than a leopard-print, conceal-carry bag?  I think not.
Jan was getting her nails done, and she wanted to make dinner for us, beef stroganoff, one of my favorites. It was excellent, and yet another great day.

Don and Jan.  Yep, we were all riding.
On Sunday, Jan, Don and I rode to Great Falls. Donna was there visiting relatives so it was a great reason to take a ride. It was a beautiful day, although windy, but so worth it to see some of the scenery. We stopped a few places, but I only took a few photos, including some at the castle, a historic landmark.

I have no idea what historic place this is, but it was a cool castle anyway, and quite old.
Jan and me, friends for more than 40 years.  We met in Fairbanks, Alaska, when we both worked for FAA.
Mexican food, home, and then it was time for me to start packing for the trip into Canada to meet the Alaska Rogue Riders, who were coming from Anchorage down the Alaska-Canada Highway, heading to Milwaukee, to celebrate the 110th anniversary of Harley-Davidson Motorcycles.

How on earth do I get so much stuff? I know some I brought, but I have two jackets (one of which Hobbs won at a raffle), four pairs of jeans when I usually only pack three, too many shirts, and so on. A lot of it has to do with flying home in the middle for a while so I'll need a post office, cuz you know I'll be getting a few more shirts along the way.


Packed up and ready to ride.  Running to meet up with the Alaskan Rogue Riders.
I left Jan's house Monday (August 19) afternoon. The Rogue Riders were in Fort Nelson, Alberta, Canada. I rode 400 miles and got to Lethridge, Alberta. I could not find my Days Inn that I like even after wandering around for 45 minutes. I ended up at the Chinook Motel, a sub-hotel of the Ramada. It was fine, but I sure had been looking forward to that breakfast at the Days Inn.

Tuesday morning I got on the road about 6:30 a.m. because I'd decided I wanted to make it to Grand Prairie where the group would be staying. I nearly froze my toes and much more off. At the first stop I put on my chaps. I couldn't find the plug in for my electric vest, so I just rode on, cold, but at least not wet, yet.

I was behind schedule by the time I'd put 200 miles on and stopped at the Red Deer Harley shop. I figured 10:30 a.m., but didn't hit it until 11. But made a power buy of a shirt and dip dot, and got back on the road.

Of course, I found the darkest cloud out there with a bit of lightning tossed in and rode right into it. I was happy it didn't last too long although it pounded me for a few minutes. I got spit out the other side, and kept going, really cold by now, but stubborn enough to keep going.

Finally, at 300 miles, I knew I had to stop to get something to eat and take a break. Tim Horton's beckoned. Don had mentioned their coffee, so I thought I should try one. I ordered soup, a bagel and a vanilla coffee. It all tasted pretty good to me, although the soup stayed with me not in a good way. Then my 30-minute break was up and I was out there again, just riding the miles, counting down until I hit Grand Prairie and found my group.

Gas and go. That's the way it is when you're trying to make time. I hit Grand Prairie about 7 p.m. which wasn't bad considering the construction areas where you had to slow down. Kind of. It amazes me that I try to go the speed limit, but I guess there really isn't one, only the suggestion. I saw one Peace Officer vehicle in the median, and another with a customer and that was it for the day, 600 miles. Oh yeah, and several at some street with their lights on … don't know what was going on, but I didn't hang around to find out.

I found the hotel where everyone was staying but no one had checked in yet. What? So I headed over to the shop. There they were. When I walked in, I felt at home … and I got a wonderful welcome. Guess they'd been wondering where I was. They must have known I was coming to Grand Prairie before I did.

The Grand Prairie shop had goodie bags for us (key chains, decals, a little brush/mirror that's all compact, a beach ball) and veggies and the fixings for little sandwiches. I was finally hungry again.

First things first.  Get wet tents drying.  Sherie and Julie had camped and in rain the tents got a bit moist.
Then we were off to get registered at the hotel, and Robin, Sherry, Julie and I took a dip … Robin and Julie in the pool (no, no too cold), and Sherry and me in the jacuzzi. We all spent some time there visiting. What a great way to end the day.

Robin, Julie and Sherie in the jacuzzi.  It was wonderful after a day of riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment