Saturday, July 14, 2012


July 12, 13 and 14 -- South Carolina to North Carolina

July 12, museum in time and banquet


This beautiful bike was a representation of the museum.
Today was the visit to the Wheels of Time Museum, which just happened to be over the state line and into North Carolina, the way I'll be heading tomorrow.

It was raining, and I was not interested in getting on the bike and riding in the rain. So guess what. In the vehicle with Sylvia and Ruth. The best part is I only see Sylvia and Ruth once a year, so I get to spend time with them and we can chat to our heart's content.

A great place to visit if you're in the neighborhood.
So many beautiful bikes, and I'm always drawn to white ones.
The military bikes are always fascinating.

There were even some neat fender ornaments.
One motorcycle looked like it had a homemade sidecar, or seat.  Duck tape and all.
There's always some beauty in amongst some old wrecks of bikes.
And then I saw it ... flamingos.  I want to be a part of this group.
The museum was a place to spend hours, although we didn't have that much time since the banquet was in the evening. But we did wander through and there was so much … cars, bikes of all kinds. There was a lot to see and I raced through to see as much as I could before we had to head back to the hotel to get ready for the evening's festivities.

1916 Traub, the one and only remaining one.  It was discovered in 1967 concealed in a brick wall in a residence in Chigaco.  It's all apparently hand made.
I'm always drawn to a police bike, even a blue one.
Old cars, old bikes.  Lovely to look at. 
The museum had a barbecue lunch for us, but it was still pouring down rain. YUK!!! But again, it's all part of the adventure. I'm living life, getting wet, getting sunburned … laughing all the way.

There were some hardy souls who rode.  My fellow Women on Wheels.

Driving back, we spotted this purple place (a shop).  Had to have a photo for my friend, the Purple Haze
The Women on Wheels banquet is the final event of the Ride In. This is where recognition is given, certificates awarded those deserving folks and awards are handed out. This is where I get my recognition … the highest mileage in my class of motorcycle. The big-ass ones!!! I've been the high-mileage winner for maybe seven out of the last eight years. Yippee. Got it again.


Yippee, skippy.  Got it again.  How many more years can I do this?e
And then it was time to say good bye to many of my new friends, and acquaintances I've met over the past five Ride In's I've attended. I enjoy these because it's women encouraging other women.

July 13, leaving Greenville

I ride a big bike and have an attitude to match,

Living the dream. I've been told that time and again, by people at home, and even by people I meet on the road. And I guess I am … riding and living off my motorcycle. It's been a wonderful trip so far this year, and so have all those trips I've taken in the past. I've gone on some wild rides, seen some spectacular things and met some great people. But I'm hoping this dream doesn't end for a lot more years.

Today I was heading to North Carolina, Raleigh, to be exact. I was meeting up again with an old school chum from the eighth grade (Whittier, Alaska), and seeing his mom for the first time in 50 years. I was excited. I'd seen David in Arizona and we'd had a smashing time. Now I would be on his turf, and I really was looking forward to a nice visit.

David had given me a route, and where to get off the Interstate to get near his house so he could either talk me in, or come get me. How hard could it be? I had all the highway numbers and the names of towns. Oh yeah. I forgot who I was dealing with … myself. I think North Carolina is as hard to get around in as Georgia. I couldn't find roads that told me which way to go for certain towns, and so I got turned around … way more than once. It became quite frustrating for me, but the good part was every time I had to stop to find out which way to go, it started to rain, and I was usually stopped. I hit a lot of showers, and got wet but I didn't get cold, and I wasn't wearing a jacket, just the T-shirt.

The easiest part of the day was getting onto I-440, and finding the exit for his place quite quickly. I phoned and he came to get me and lead me to the house.

When we got there he motioned me to follow him with the bike. I did, but was wondering where I was going. It was along side the cars and house, over the sidewalk, over the grass, over some bumps, down a little incline, around a wall and into the lawn mower garage. I had the feeling I'd never get the bike out of there again, not without tipping over multiple times. But David assured me we'd get it out. Then I unloaded and we covered the girl with a tarp. Just in case it rained … although she had a roof, too. She was being well taken care of.

Harlow had her own bike garage.
Then we went into the house and I met Mrs. Brown, one of my former school teachers from many years ago. She actually said she remembered me, and I felt good about it. She's delightful, and is now 90 years old.

A Gallileo thermometer.

Mom and me in this beautiful room. 
I got the grand tour of the house, got myself settled into my room, and off we went to dinner.

Remember? All roads lead to food.

July 14, Raleigh, North Carolina

I elected (after asking) to stay over another night in Raleigh. I have another friend I used to work with, Jason, and wanted to see if I could meet up with him. We did talk, but never got to get together.

There were tons of bikes and a wing cook off.  But this bike and it's label was the best thing going on.
Even without that, it was a full day,. I took the bike to the shop to see about an oil change. WOW!!! There was a huge event going on … a hot wing cook out, and there must have been 500 bikes. But I got my oil change. And then, imagine, I bought a Harley shirt. So, is that number 501? I'll need to count again once I get home.

I bought the pink one.
We wandered around the shop and, I know you'll never believe it, I started talking to a gal who was wearing a Ladies of Harley shirt. Her name is Paula, and we hit it off. I liked her shirt so much but couldn't get one since I was not a member of the Raleigh HOG chapter., I fixed that, and joined.


Pat Price, owner of Ray Price Harley-Davidson, Paula and me.
Paula and I continued to talk. I happened to look down at her boots. Oh wow. Herman Muenster boots. Her, too. They're more common than I thought. So we had to take a photo. She was a kick, and I could have chatted with her for hours.

Paula and me.

Look at those boots.  We do Herman Muenster proud.
She rides a big bike, and so we had to go see it because she's made it a solo seat and moved the tour pack forward. It was quite the creation, and I think it looked quite fine.


Paula demonstrates riding ... that girl has personality!!
From there we took the house trash to the dump … in a Land Rover. And I got to drive it. What a vehicle!!! We went four-wheeling … into the weeds (the scratches being made sounded like fingernails on a blackboard), and we found bamboo!!! Had to have a photo of that … if I was into vehicles, this would be one I'd like to have. It's comfortable, it's easy to drive, and feels like a tank … safe!!! The only thing I'd add would be a machine gun on the hood!!! And maybe a Beagle in the back.

A Land Rover in the woods ... in the bamboo.
Then it was off to the Farmer's Market. I've never seen ghost eggplants. Eggplants, tomatoes, peaches, eggs, plants. I sampled some of the tomatoes and peaches. The tomatoes taste like a tomato should taste. The ones we have at home, even those grown there, still don't taste like a tomato does here. YUMMY!!! The smells were wonderful … so we bought a few things to take home. And had to have a couple of photos, too.

The white one is called a ghost eggplant.  Who knew?
How could I not buy something from the kid who created these?  Tomatoes.  No eggplant.
And they bring in corn by the truckload.
From there it was back to the shop to pick up my bike, all clean so I hope I don't have to ride iin the rain anymore for a while. Then dinner at Cooper's Barbecue (famous you know), and home to listen to mom play the piano. It was lovely, and reminded me of when my mother played, although Mrs. Brown is very talented, even now.


Mrs. Brown playing her piano, Claire de Lune.

I was going to get that mower around the plants.  Whoops!!!  Got one.  I prefer the Land Rover.
It seems like my time here has been short, but all must end, and it's on to other adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment