Friday, July 6, 2012

Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas

July 6 and it's another beautiful day. I love the sunshine. It makes me feel good, like I'm living life to the fullest.

Off Ruth and I go, leaving at about 8:30 a.m. We'd thought we'd leave at about 7 a.m. to avoid some of the heat, but nah.

As we rode down the highway, there was lots to look at. I saw a palomino, a darker brown with a mane and tail that looked as though they'd been peroxided. It was beautiful and for a moment I lamented no longer having a horse. But only for a moment. The iron steed is my horse of choice these days. Faster, stronger and capable of carrying me further distances and on to new adventures. But I sure did love having a horse.

I relished the freedom of the ride this morning. I was only wearing a T-shirt and jeans, no long sleeves, no hydration vest. I was riding in frog position (perhaps it's a yoga position), and I took my hands off the handlebars. Total freedom. But only for a few moments. I'm too cautious to do that for long. I only ride fast.

Freedom on the road this morning.
There was lots of open land with nothing but grass, maybe a few bushes here and there. There was an openness that made me think I could see forever. I think I did. I saw where the land met the sky, with nothing breaking the skyline. Pretty, but I think it needed a few mountains thrown out there to add to the beauty.

Lots of land and sky. 
We stopped in Waurika, Oklahoma, to take a photo of the flag.  The street was cobblestones, rough to ride on, treacherous when wet.
This memorial is at a Whitesboro, Texas, fire station.  I took this photo for Hobbs' nephew who is a firefighter.
Horses and cows became abundant. I enjoy seeing them. It seems like the only other animals I saw were dead … an armadillo, a deer, a skunk, a raccoon, and a few other things I couldn't identify. I always say a little prayer when I see the first road kill of the day: Dear Lord, please take this creature up to you, make it whole, make it well, and keep it safe with you forever and ever. Amen. These animals deserve our compassion. And I certainly don't want to hit one of them, or have one of them hit me.

At one point I saw a bunch of turkey vultures, or whatever those big birds with the red beaks are. They were circling something off the road, something dead, I'm sure, but I couldn't smell anything.

There was a bright spot which made my day. We saw a turtle crossing the road. He was on the far side when we saw him, and there were no vehicles, so he got safely to the other side. It made me smile to see something alive out there.

In St. Jo, Texas, I saw a sign that said “anti-snake sulphur.” I wondered what it was. I didn't really find it, but found a lot of things that said sulphur was considered a snake repellent, but that it was myth. All I can say is that I don't intend to find out. In case you haven't realized it, I HATE SNAKES!!!!!
We rode further and came upon a truck hauling some pipes. Sand was swirling from the back of the truck and as we got closer it blasted my skin. It's totally different than the splatter from a bug that gives me momentary coolness, then stickiness if it's a big bug.

 On this trip I was hoping to get to Paris, Tennessee, but it was a bit out of the way. There is a replica of the Eiffel Tower that I thought it would be fun to see. But if you look up Paris, Texas, it turns out there's one there, too. So we stopped to visit.

Texans have their own take on the Eiffel Tower.  They've added a cowboy hat at the top.  I'm hanging from the supports of the bottom of the tower.  Grow up!!!  Don't think so.  It's just like monkey bars.  I'm having fun.
The Red River Valley Veterans Memorial is being created to honor all veterans.  It's to remind future generations and everyone that the freedom we enjoy is not free.  This memorial is located near the Paris, Texas, Eiffel Tower.
It was getting hotter and I saw three signs within a few blocks of each other, 95, 96 and 97 degrees. Which is it? I prefer the cooler of the bunch. But it was time to put on the hydration vest and long sleeves. Enough of a burn on my arms today.

Along the road there were a lot of ranches, and in a pen on one of them was a mechanical bull. It reminded me of the 2009 Women on Wheels Ride In in Kerrville, Texas. One of the rides was to Luckenbach and they had a mechanical bull set up for us. I'd always wanted to try it. So I did. What a blast. And I didn't get hurt when I fell off. They had all kinds of blow- up mats so all the old ladies could get up from the bull and continue to ride their motorcycles.

My jeans are getting looser and I feel like I'm losing weight although I'm eating. Then I realized that I've been wearing them for a few days and they've stretched out. Oh the agony of thinking one thing and then having to face reality.

I'm not a planter person, but can appreciate flowers and trees that I see along the way.
I've also rediscovered how to keep cars from getting too close on the back of my bike. Launch a water bottle. I heard something behind me, looked and saw that a water bottle had come out from under the cargo net. It bounced on the road in front of the car behind me. He kept a long distance between his car and my bike after that. Nice.

I forgot to mention, when I was traveling the other day on I-40, I may not know where I am, but I know where I'm going: Exit 84, hotels and gas, Exit 101, Indian moccasins and trinkets, Exit 108, food. Yep, it's easy to find my way. The signs tell all.

No comments:

Post a Comment