Wednesday, July 4, 2012

La Turista en el Campo

July 3, a day of laundry, repacking, freezing bottles of water and getting ready to hit the road. It's always fun to get ready, but hectic. Usually I go through everything on my bikes prior to taking them out, but I did not do that this time, so don't remember what I do or don't have. But hey, this is America. I can buy anything I need.

That is part of the joy of riding in the Lower 48. In addition to sunshine most every day, and roads that I've never travelled. So why do I live in Alaska where I can go only north or south? I guess because it's a part of who I am, too. Born and raised, needing the mountains and the water, ugly though some of it is. It's in my blood and my soul.

However, that said, I sure do love riding down here, the wind in my hair without a hat, jeans and no chaps, a T-shirt without long johns. Riding free, unharnessed by anything tight or too much. I do not feel like the Pillsbury Doughgirl riding down here. However, like the Girl Scouts I am prepared … chaps, electric gear, long johns, rain suit, just in case.

So today we went up to the coke ovens in the direction of Monument Lake where we were a day ago. It does not mean Coca Cola or the cocaine drug. Coke is a form of charcoal. They put wood in the ovens, and burn it without flames to make charcoal. The charcoal was then used to smelt minerals.


I really wish I could have gotten over onto the top of the ovens, but it was not to be.
The ovens are located 7 miles west of Trinidad in Cokedale. Cokedale was built in 1906-07 and cost $1 million. It was named for the nearby coke ovens and was a mining / coke burning town.

The coke ovens are interesting to look at, two long lines of concrete with dirt in between them, and little cut outs. About 190 of the original 350 ovens remain, with the 350 ovens being the largest number of ovens in the county at the time. I found the long line of ovens quite interesting, but was unable to get to them to explore as they were behind fences.

Later in the day we picked up Verlie's Aunt Lucille and Uncle Charles and off we went for a ride about the country. Originally we were looking for some coke ovens around Gray Creek and Engleville that we heard were in excellent condition, but we never found them.

However, we found some interesting things to photograph, like a little house with a cross on the top and a cross as part of one of the windows.


A beautiful little stone building.  I loved the cross on the top.

This little monument was off to the side of the little stone building.  There are fascinating things to see even out in the country where you might not ordinarily be.

I like to cook but can't imagine using an oven like this.  I'm told, though, that this was used to melt metal.
There was also an outdoor oven which I thought was a neat thing that I'd rather never have to use. Mostly we wandered around in the Trinchera area where Verlie's mom was born and raised. There's not much there now, but there were a few old buildings that were unique to see. Trinchera was founded in 1888, and named for the pass or gap through a nearby mesa. It's Spanish for trenches.

The old church at Trinchera is still standing.

We're driving along, in the middle of nowhere, and there's a microwave oven on a post.  Have you ever seen such a strange mailbox?  I guess that's the epitomy of recycling.  Give that guy a blue star.

As we rode about the country dirt roads, we saw antelope, turkeys and even a bear which sat on his haunches to watch us. He seemed to be questioning what we were doing in his turf. I was quite content to be in the car at the time.

This bear did not seem to be very concerned about us ... my favorite part of seeing things, the animals.
Yeah, I should have cropped this one of the antelope.  Next time.
We also drove through what used to be Watervale, but the buildings were all torn down after the community was abandoned in the early 1920s.

From there the road continued to Branson where we found an outhouse to use. We were long past caring if it was a nice place or not. But it was clean and was even equipped with toilet paper. The scavenging in the car to find paper of some sort to use was no longer an issue. There was even a funny little jail there so we all took a chance at getting behind the bars, hoping to not be the one that got locked in by accident.


Let me out,  Let me out.  I've never been in jail, and don't really want to find out what it's all about.
All you wanted to know about the Branson, Colorado jail.

At least there were beautiful flowers at the jail.
One of the things we did a little offroading to get to was to visit cemetaries. Again, I find them unique and fascinating. Each has its own way of honoring those who have passed on. Some of the ones we visited today were old, and they had a different type of cross than ones I've seen before. A few had photos, one had no “death” date because the person has not yet passed on, and others were broken down, neglected and forgotten.
So many old graves and markers no longer marking anything.  They're sad to see.
This marker had a photo of a handsome man, a beloved dad and grandpa.
Another marker with a photo.
This gentleman is still alive.  Somewhere.
Neglected, forgotten, broken.  Yet the flowers don't seem to be so old.
There was one grave, Tito Sandoval, who was Verlie's Mom's uncle. He died at the age of 34 after a fight with someone else. The two took the fight outside where Tito figured he'd make short work of it since he was an excellent boxer. That was not to be as the other guy pulled a gun from his boot and killed him.

Uncle Tito, dead before his time.
The stories that come from the grave are more interesting than anything someone could make up. I only wish more of them could speak to us and pass on their stories as not many are still here to speak for them. What a day.

Adios, my amigos y amigas.

And a HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA.  WE LOVE YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment