Thursday, August 23, 2012


August 23, Queen to Queen

August. It's nearly over already and it seems like it's barely started, or that there has been a summer.

If you want to ride, you have to get out, good weather and bad, although I try not to get out in the bad so much.

One recent day I decided to go to Portage Glacier. It was time to check the water level in the lake, which is just another excuse to ride, and a reason to go to the lake. Check to see if it's still there (it always is), check to see if any glacier ice has broken off and is in the lake (this time there was) and check if there are any bugs (this time there were none).

I rode leisurely, down Turnagain Arm, into the Portage Valley, past the visitor center, through the tunnel and on around to the parking lot. I stopped and took a few photos. The weather was cooperating that day, so it was a very enjoyable ride.

The Portage Valley has an abundance of glaciers.
Once at the lake, I shot a few glacier shots, and then looked down and saw there was a canoer on the lake. That appeared to be a photo that would look rather nice, so I took it. Then I heard, “Patti, is that you? Patti?”

What the heck? Who was calling my name? I turned around but there wasn't anyone in the parking lot, and the only person I could see for a mile was someone in that canoe, and I had no idea who it was. But again, “Patti? Patti, is that you?” The person in the canoe was hollering at me, and I had no idea who it was. I don't know anyone who'd be canoeing; that's not my style.

I hollered back, “Who is it?” Traffic was coming from the Whittier side, so when the person answered, I couldn't hear the name. So I hollered again, and the person hollered back again. What a lack of communication was going on here.

Then I heard the name, “Julie.” What? “From the Harley Shop.”

Turns out it was Julie, the Queen of the Chrome. She is working part time at the Harley Shop this year, and it was one of her days off. She'd decided to come down and paddle around in the lake.

The Chrome Queen in her canoe at Portage Lake.
She was dragging her canoe back up the hill, and it was nearly straight up near the top. I helped her drag it a little. Although she could have managed, it was nice to help and chat with her for a bit since we don't often get the chance.

Queen to queen; it was nice to visit in a place outside of the shop, and get to know her a little bit better.

Then, back in the saddle and back to town. The queens separated as each headed to their respective corner of the world.

1 comment:

  1. The Queen of Chrome , now that is a term I like. As in my Favorite Color is Chrome? Thanks Patti for this story . You are a very good writer. What a girl.

    ReplyDelete