Sunday, August 26, 2012


August 25, See the Sea Life at the SeaLife Center

Have you ever been to the Alaska SeaLife Center in Seward? Here I am, born and raised in Alaska, born in Seward, as a matter of fact, and I had never been.

I had been visiting with a former co-worker and she told me about the baby walrus that was on display at the Center. I'd read about the three of them (one of which had died), one that was still under care, and the third that was on display. My friend told me about the little (not so little at a couple hundred pounds), and I decided to take a ride down to see him.

I am still traveling, just in Alaska.  This piece of artwork is outside the Alaska SeaLife Center.
The SeaLife Center (115,000-square feet) was built using money from the 1989 Exxon Valdez Oil Spill. It's got a combination of something for everyone – conservation, education, marine research, animal rehabilitation and entertainment.

My visit started with a senior ticket price. That's always a good sign. There are benefits to being 62, 63, 65 or older. I decided to purchase a season pass as I fully intend to go back down and see what's new.

As I wandered through, there was a petting tank with starfish, which I elected not to pet, swarms of salmon (yes, I know, it's not a swarm or a herd or a flock, but a school), fish tanks with jelly fish and so much more. But I had focus to my visit. I wanted to see the walrus.

The ceiling near the salmon tanks had these beauties hanging from the ceiling.
The walrus was in an enclosed viewing area, with visitors looking down on him from the large windowed observation area up above. I could see a young woman sitting on the floor, wearing breakup boots, with a walrus laying across her legs, his head in her lap. She had her arm and hand across his back, stroking him. She would stop and the walrus would roll over, pushing on her with his flipper, as much as saying, don't stop. She would continue again. I understand the young ones need to be touched 24/7, or they don't make it, like babies of the human species. The walrus will decide when he doesn't need the touch anymore.

Another young woman came into the area and the walrus was up and moving. She must be a favorite of his because he followed her around the wading pool in the middle of the floor, almost like a dog, scooting along quite quickly for a big baby.

The wading pool appeared to be favored as the walrus got into it, and one of the young ladies tossed a frisby-type disk in the water. The walrus seemed to want to retrieve it for her and would move it along with his flippers. She put it on his back and like a dog, he kept flexing his skin and moving around until he got it off of him. It all was great fun to watch, and I must have stood there for a half-hour. But no photos. The glass and angle didn't lend themselves to photos, so it's only a memory-chip in my brain. But the whole trip was worth it just to see him and his interactions with the humans. He will not be put back into the wild as he's had too much human contact, but will be moved to a zoo somewhere. Would be nice if we could keep him.

This face looked like it was laughing at me trying to get photos.
Through the underwater viewing area, these creatures make swimming seem so effortless.
After watching the little walrus (because he is still small), I wandered around and outside to some of the other tanks where there were some Steller sea lions. One is huge, 2,000 pounds or more. It glides around, down, up and heads toward you, looking you in the eye, then down and around again. I enjoy watching the swimming creatures. Maybe because my sign is water, Pisces? I also went down and watched them through the underwater viewing windows and was just as fascinated with them. There are also seals, and a whole exhibit with just birds, puffins, loons, ducks. I never got the shot I was looking for with the birds. Then I lost patience with it all and wandered on to other things.

It's a bird's life.  I think this is a Common Murre.
This Tufted Puffin posed for as long as I wanted to take photos.  But I never got one that I thought was great, just okay.  And I had such a good subject, patient, colorful. 
Look at me, look at me.
The center is astounding with many things to do and see. I know I didn't spend enough time, and totally missed some remote camera that sends video of the sea lion rookery in Resurrection Bay. I read about it later, but it gives me a reason to return. Besides there are special tours and programs that I found interesting and would like to see. Maybe more than one trip is in my future.

This was another statue outside of the Center, dedicated to the Iditarod Trail Blazers.
There's just lots of cool stuff to see at the SeaLife Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment