Thursday, August 2, 2012


July 23, Still traveling with the boys

We'd considered not completing the last few miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway, but since it was pretty much the route we needed to take to get to Deal's Gap, why not. So, that was how we started our morning.

There was still fog and haze and a few clouds on the Blue Ridge.

In riding through Cherokee, where the Blue Ridge ends, there were various painted bears, much like our Wild Salmon on Parade in Anchorage.  This was a favorite of mine so had to stop and get the shot.. 
Greg had been to Deal's Gap and done the Tail of the Dragon (Highway 129) before. Doug had not and wanted to. I never had and didn't want to. I'd heard tales of this ride, and the challenges and I didn't want any part of it. But in listening to what the boys were saying, and after realizing the Diamond Back wasn't as challenging as expected, I asked if I could tag along. Greg said he figured I would be wanting to go.
A final gorgeous view before hitting the Gap.
The road getting to Deal's Gap is nice, curves, twists, but nothing that makes you worry about what lies ahead.

Then we got to Deal's Gap and it looked like a mini-Sturgis with bikes all parked in multiple rows along the parking lot, lined neatly up as only motorcyclists can do. I'd not seen anything quite like this. There was a place to take photos, web sites where you can order photos of you on the ride, a couple of restaurants, and just bikers and bikes.

Lots of bikes go in and out, heading to the Dragon, leaving the Dragon.  There's a lot of activity in this area, and it was fun to watch.  Revving engines, people taking a break, looking at other bikes, talking to other riders.  There are also cars because the Dragon is a road that is used by cars as a great drive.
We took off, heading up the road, the first few curves were a piece of cake. As were the next few, and I realized this was something I was enjoying … 318 curves in 11 miles. I was having a blast and really getting into the corners. Greg was leading and pointed out something in the middle of the road. I went to the left of it, and eeewwwwhhh. It was a snake, a live one, with it's head up. Greg later said he thought it was a rattler. I hate snakes.

The whole ride was awesome, even with dragging my floorboards a couple of times which I don't like to do; even with some guy on a chopper with a very extended front end coming around a sharp corner with the front end of his bike in my lane. No worries. I had it under control.

When we got to the end, we turned around and came back, doing it all over again. 636 curves in 22 miles. I'm glad I bought two shirts, one for each trip. Yahoo!!! What a rush it was.



The boys and me, ride complete.  Dragon tamed.
We wandered inside and some ladies stopped me to ask if the run was hard. How do you answer a question like that? It's challenging, but doable, exiting and so much fun. However, so much depends on ability, timing, experience, and so much else. How do you answer that? I didn't want to send someone down a road that might be one they should not be doing. But I also didn't want to discourage someone from doing a ride they might like to do. It has to be your own ride. Ride it, own it.

The Tree of Shame ... those who did not tame the dragon.  Some crashed but recovered to ride again; others did not live.  Treacherous, particularly if you try to run it too hard, or lose focus of the prize.
I don't know if this meant someone lost a limb, or not
These folks came back to try it again.  Persistence.  I don't know if I could have done the same.
There's lots of damaged sheet metal on this tree.
This guy was apparently running the Dragon too fast; 50 mph is not smart on those corners, and as this guy learned, not doable.  The Dragon tamed him and he's acknowledged it.
From there we went to the Cherohala Skyway. It's 60 miles long and another twisting, curving road. Beautiful, and more great riding of the kind I like. I wishes it wouldn't end. It had been such a great day of riding with my new friends who ride much as I do, wonderful roads, superb rides. It's hard to duplicate something like that and I was high on life, feeling like I was on the top of the world. Roads such as those we'd traveled that day give you a sense of euphoria, a sense of wonder, a sense of well-being. I had it all.

This one's for you, Miss Helen.

The boys and I stopped since Greg had a pipe start making noise.  While they were fixing it, I had to take a photo.  Dams and the water running down them are quite unique and pretty, I think.
There are many oustanding roads in this area, great motorcyclling roads, many more that we did not do. You don't have to do them over and over and over like we do Turnagain Arm. They are mostly more challenging than Turnagain, although I think the Arm is a great training ground. I've ridden it most days in the summer, sometimes more than once, except when I'm out of town.

There's always time for another Harley shop, this one on the $100 million dollar highway.
How to end such a day? A motel with a bed and a shower, and dinner with the boys. We'd be saying good bye the next day, and it would be sad. I always dread leaving friends, old and new alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment