Monday, December 10, 2012

Monday, November 5, Cattle drive, installment 8 –
dirty and getting tired


Up and at 'em.  Pack that bag and mat, break down that tent, wash your face, brush your teeth, saddle up.
 (Photo by Flounder.)

The boys were sleeping under the stars.  Even they were a little slow in getting up this morning.
(Photo in Flounder's camera.)
A good day. No dust ups!! Riding, driving. I think I'm getting tired. But day-after-day of riding, I guess I should be. But it was a great day and and an even better week. Now I'm really, really dirty … a dirty piggy!!!
Dirt is hard to see at this distance.  The cows are down the hill to the right.  We had a lot of leeway in riding, and there were times we rode off the trail to see what was over the hill.  (Photo by Flounder.)
Birgit and I had a nice chat today. She's quite nice, and I've gotten to know Arnold and Gottfried and like them as well. It's taken awhile, though. Wish we'd chatted sooner.

Bergit.  We all were taking it a bit slower today.  (Photo by Flounder.)
You make your own fun along the trail.  (Photo by Flounder.)
The real devil cow has just looked up.  (Photo by Flounder.)
The line of cows sometimes stretched on for as far as the eye could see.  (Photo by Flounder.)
Drinks around.  (Photo by Flounder.)
Little helper.  How could you not like being around these young ones?  (Photo by Flounder.)
We did silhouette photos at sunset near the pond and fenceline. Good thing since we're filthy. You can't see that in a silhouette.

Flounder and me.  Being dirty rocks!!  (Photo in Flounder's camera.)
The sunset was beautiful – pinks, purples, blues, oranges, yellows.

Tonight's supper was pork chops, fried potatoes, corn and salad. Every meal has been great. Catered camping it is. A very apt description.

I heard around the dinner table that Franz took a tumble from his horse today. He'd been doing backflips or something off it and then was standing on his horse and it wouldn't go forward. He smacked it, and it took off, and left him behind on the ground. Rhinestone Cowboy! No, I don't think much of him.

Hot chocolate sure does taste good at night. I'm wondering if, once I'm home, it will taste as good. Probably not. I'm thinking only the camping life makes for great hot chocolate.

Yee haw!!!  (Photo  by Flounder.)
Tonight was dance night. Stetson tried to show me swing, and then we all did the Virginia Reel. It was quite fun … and once again, was like being in the Old West. I did trip over a bush and ended up on the ground. But up and at 'em again, keep dancing. We've done different things different evenings. It's kept us on our toes, and been quite entertaining. What a week we've had. I'm tired, but in some ways wish it would not end.


No comments:

Post a Comment