Monday, December 10, 2012

Tuesday, November 6, installment 9 – another long day but reached our final destination

Ten-plus hours today. And it was quite dusty. We're at our last destination and will camp here for two nights. We're now also close to the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

What you looking at?  (Photo by Flounder.)
What?  Leave us alone.  (Photo by Flounder.)
Today we drove cattle, then separated them into two groups. Tomorrow it's more separating, pushing them to their respective pastures, and we're done. I'm tired so it'll be good to finish, but it's been such a great time. I also saw another jackrabbit today. Big ears.

We now have an outhouse rather than our teepee. Our camp has corrals for the horses rather than tie lines, or tying them to the vehicles, a water pond and pens for the cattle, sheep camps (little cars on wheels that are pretty neat inside and where the families are staying). First class …

Natashia and the kids came back again. Was so nice to see them. It makes our community more complete when everyone is here.

I had brought a pink towel with me. One of the cowboys, Stetson, had asked a few days ago if I had an extra towel. Well, I'm not using it, so he's used it a few days. I think I should give it to him. Haha.

I also discovered that Cowboy's little dog sleeps in his sleeping bag with him. That's cool. Plus I'm sure he helps keep him warm as the boys have been sleeping outside without tents. I expect seeing the gorgeous stars overhead more than makes up for not using a tent. I envy that, but Flounder and I didn't sleep outside … the water that I keep outside at night has been frozen in the mornings.

Cows, cows make dust, dust makes dirt.  Toss in some beautiful scenery and a sunset.  Loving it.  (Photo by Flounder.)
Beef over rice tonight and Oriental vegetables. I had to pick out those nasty baby corn things.

I did learn that the ranch is more than 13,000 acres and there is access to more than 100,000 acres of federal pasture land. That's a lot of acreage.

Flounder is sick. Her hands are beet red, and she thinks it's the malaria medicine she takes for working overseas reacting with the sun as it makes her more sensitive to the sun. I have Advil, chapstick, a lotion with aloe and that's about all. It seems to be helping some.

No comments:

Post a Comment