Thursday, December 20, 2012

Thursday, November 8, installment 11 –
what was lost has been found

Marieke, Evaline, Flounder and Justin went to look for the camera at daybreak, about 6:45 a.m. I tore down our tent by myself mostly … although 7-year-old Rachel helped. Then Birgit, Andrea and I tore down Marieke and Evaline's tent.

THEY FOUND IT!!! The camera was recovered. Thank you, thank you. The memories have not been lost.

Camp ... looking at the sheep shacks, old house and even the outhouse in the distance.  (Photo by Flounder.)

There were several sheep shacks.  They were the cutest litle units, and have been here for quite some time.
 (Photo by Flounder.)

The entry is a Dutch door, so you could leave the top open if you chose, but could leave the bottom half of it closed.  I hadn't seen a door like that in some time  The families stayed in  some of the little units.  (Photo by Flounder.)
We said our good byes to the families and the cowboys. It was hard as I feel they're more like friends. I'll miss their goodness, their integrity, their fresh-air approach to life, their sense of family, their love for each other and the land. It was a wonderful, heartwarming experience. Yes, with camping, cold weather, cold and sometimes frozen water, teepees and outhouses, but so much more – a bond to people who believe in helping with camp chores, family suppers and preparation when Chef Mel let us, doing dishes, pitching in, and most of all … old-fashioned values while living in the technology age.

There's not much room in the sheep shacks but they do protect you from the elements ...  (Photo by Flounder.) 
Then it was time to load up and head to the gas station to redistribute us into other vehicles. Then it was back to St. George. Parting from our new friends was difficult, but there's always Facebook and e-mail. And I expect to see some of these wonderful folks again as I go through Utah a lot.

Marieke and Evaline were staying a night at St. George so they let us use their showers before we had to catch the shuttle to the airport. The dirt just streamed off of me to the bottom of the tub as I washed my hair twice and soaped everything and everywhere. I must have dropped two pounds in dirt alone. It was probably the best shower I've ever taken … nine days without a shower. I've never done that before, and I felt like a new person.

It had taken me a few days on the trail to realize that we'd not have a chance to shower before getting on the plane. My plan was to hit the restroom and do a big spit bath. But thanks to the Holland girls, there was no need.

Then it was the shuttle to the airport and back to the reality of our lives. I now really understand Hobbs' hunting trips and the starkness and solitude he enjoys.

The shuttle had a couple of young guys, pants down to the bottom of their butts, underwear showing, talking trash about others and about getting wasted. What a difference a few hours makes.

I miss life on the trail and our “cowboy up team.” But I sure did enjoy my shower! And clean, soft hair. It's done, but the memories will be there, as well as the people who I learned to love and will see when our trails cross again.

Yeehaw! Cowgirls and cowboys rock … big time!!!

Tuckered out.  (Photo by Flounder.)

No comments:

Post a Comment