Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Sunday, November 4, Cattle drive, installment 7 – relaxing, cattle feeding and drinking at leisure

It was a relaxed day today, stopping for a couple of hours a few times to let the cattle feed. Then it was to a pond to let them drink. We let the horses drink, too, and then it was back to work.

Another real deal ... all of Dustin and Harmony's girls are.  (Photo by Flounder.)
A slow push, Flounder and I were assigned to the back to push them forward … slowly. That was our instructions. Heinz came back a few times since the Austrians were working the sides, but I let him know we had it handled. While he may not speak English very well, he does understand so that worked out.

One of my favorite photos ... I don't look nearly as tired as I was feeling.  (Photo by Flounder.)

Franz then came back. He and his wife own a stable in Austria, and I heard he ran a few cattle at one point. But my sticking point is that we're all here to work … as a team. No one person is to do it all, or try to do it all, or act like they can. So, when he came back more than once, and refused to go do his job, and not ours, I had had enough.

They say Alaska girls kick ass. So it was time. Franz does not speak English (to our knowledge). I gestured him to go back up the side, but he was persistent. So I blocked his horse with Luke and told him as well as gestured. He didn't like it. We were hollering at each other … who knows what was said by either side since I didn't understand him and he didn't understand me. (I exercised restraint by not showing him some universal language due to the children, but I was irritated enough.)

I was not in awe, nor intimidated. I ran him off and called him a “dumpkoft.” I don't know how to spell it, and now know that it means “stupidhead.” That worked out well because that's exactly what I thought!!! Go do your own thing and leave us alone. We're supposed to push SLOW, not FAST. But he likes to push them fast, and often cuts through the herd, scattering them in the process. He left me alone after that … so all ended quite well as we avoided each other the rest of the trip.

Stetson mentioned that I seemed to have had some territorial issues with the cows. I just told him yep, sure did.


A slower day ... means you create your own entertainment ... including some wrestling matches.  (Photo by Flounder.)
There was some roping of cows going on ... it was Hayden's turn to rope.  (Photo by Flounder.) 
Guess this is more cowplay than horseplay.  (Photo by Flounder.)
Evaline and Marieke taking a break amidst the postcard-like scenery.  (Photo by Flounder.)
Dustin let Flounder play with his lariat today. I took photos for her. She didn't rope anything, but nearly got a bush. And she had a good time.


Let me get one of those cows.  Her lariat was open, but ne'er a cow's foot or head got caught.  A great learning experience for the first time and loads of fun.  (Flounder's photo.)
Practice makes perfect.  (Flounder's photo.)

A little campfire talk was always in order, this just before the sun set on another wonderful day.  (Photo by Flounder.)
Tonight was burrito night. They were awesome. And I'm really into hot chocolate, double packets. It didn't keep me awake at all, so I must be tired enough at night.


Even the cowboys helped do dishes on occasion.  (Photo by Flounder.)
The family had “church” tonight. They talked to us about their church for those who wanted to listen. Then the girls sang, and one of the Austrians, Arnold, sang a hymn in his language, but we all recognized it, “Amazing Grace.” It was beautiful. And brought us all together for a short time.

Then there was a bit more cardplaying, minus me, campfire and off to the sack.

No comments:

Post a Comment