Thursday, February 16, 2012


Bombay Beach Run, Feb. 14, 2012

Today we left Jaz's mom's in Redwood City, heading to the Phoenix area. It was cold but at least it wasn't raining. We were concerned about getting through some of the passes because there had been news of snow.

We followed some beautiful twisty roads, and made our way along, checking weather as we went. When we reached Bakersfield we had one more stop before deciding to go through the pass or head south and go around. We checked the weather one more time and even though it was in the 30s we rode on. There was no snow except a bit higher than where we were, no moisture and the roads were relatively dry.

But it was cold, and our feet were freezing as we only stopped to gas, use a restroom and go on. But we are Alaskan girls.

We saw deer, a hawk, a coyote, a pig and lots of little squirrels that seemed determined to be in the road with the vehicles. They all lived.

By 5 p.m. we'd reached our destination for the day, Barstow, and went to the same hotel we'd started at a week ago. Tonight, dinner and a good night's rest, and on to Phoenix area tomorrow.

It was a pretty quiet day, and we stopped not once to take a photo. The road is just a memory.

Bombay Beach Run, Feb. 15, 2012

Barstow treated us right. The Rodeaway Hotel where we stayed twice,both going and coming, was a great place and the folks who run it very nice.

We left Barstow about 9 a.m., 10 a.m. Arizona time. We figured everything would be home free now that we'd ridden through all the places that could have had snow and created problems for us, or made us go around a much longer way.

All we did was gas up, ride, stretch, start over until we got to the home of the Peeps in Sun City. There might have been an animal or two, but I didn't see them. It was an uneventful day, but a great joyousness when we arrived. It's always fun to see friends and be able to spend some time with them.

Both bikes parked in the Peep's garage.  Mine's in front of Jaz's so a little hard to see.  My helmet and the one saddle bag are visible. 
Tomorrow will be the end of the motorcycle portion of this trip as Miss Harlow will get parked in her space at the home base in Gilbert with Joe and Verlie. Then it will be the beginning of the NASCAR Universal Studio trip. Until then, auv voir. (I don't know how to spell it, but I was feeling French cuz I ate some French bread this evening.)


Bombay Beach Run, Feb. 16

Today was truly the end of the motorcycle trip. Jaz and I would part company today. We got up and Judi and Ken and we all went to breakfast. Judi, or Spinner as known to some, cut our hair, then Ken, now known as Big Peep, went off to exercise.

My new haircut, just in time to head to Florida to NASCAR and Universal Studios.
I knew I'd be leaving soon, but before that Jaz, Spinner and I went and played miniature golf. I'm really lousey at it, but we had a great time.

Spinner taking her best shot.

Jaz lining up a shot.

Miniature golf and I really don't get along.  But we had a great time, fun in the sun today.
Back to the house and I finished packing up. Once again I reviewed my route back to Verlie's, and then I set off on my final ride of the trip.

Made it, with only one slight detour as I missed the street to turn into the subdivision since some guy was tailgating me. Oh well.

Unloaded Harlow, the bike's name, wiped her down, and that was that.

Now let's start our engines and head to NASCAR!


No comments:

Post a Comment