Friday, February 17, 2012



Start your engines and head to NASCAR, Feb. 17, 2012

Verlie and I were up until midnight last night getting ready; that included going out to eat at a Texas Roadhouse and packing. Of course, we always have lots to talk about so there was that, too. Verlie arranged for a taxi to come take us to the airport, with a 6 a.m. pickup. The 5 a.m. wake up time is the earliest I've been up this entire trip, and I was not enthused.

But up we were, packed and on our way. Verlie and I were trying to make the same flights to Atlanta and then Orlando. Verlie was flying as a paying passenger; I was flying as a non-rev, meaning I was flying on Biker Bill's pass as a former airline employee. So when you fly that way, you never know for sure if you'll get on a plane until you're actually on the flight. Even so, sometimes you might get on and get pulled off.


Needed more photo support.  These trash birds always look so clean.  We do know better.
When we got to the airport we found that the flight had been delayed by about an hour and a half. They had to wait for one flight's arrival so they could get a crew. While we waited we had coffee and some breakfast. Then it was time to hit the ladies' room. We walked in and Verlie jumped back with the strangest look on her face. Standing there was a guy zipping up his pants. Not someone working on his exposure traits but a guy who walked into the wrong restroom. Funny thing about that. When we left, another guy tried the same thing. Not well marked. But better them in our restroom and not us in the guy one!!

I was able to make the same Atlanta flight with Verlie, sitting some rows in front of her. I had a carry on with my camera equipment, computer and Nook reader. They wanted to check it to Orlando since there was no more space in the overhead bins. I was very reluctant and told the gate person why. They found a little space to put it, which was wonderful, particularly after they'd just told another guy who might have been a pilot since he wanted to put it up by t he jump seat, that there was no room. She whispered, “Don't tell that guy.” Not to worry. Didn't know him, didn't care since if I did not want to relinquish it I wouldn't get on the flight.

Even getting on a delayed flight we still got to Atlanta with an hour before the next flight to Orlando. Would I make that one? When we checked the board I was Number 23 on the standby list and it appeared there were only five seats available. I'm not sure how that worked since somehow I was on, the last one before the door closed. But this time I had to give up my bag. I took my camera, computer and Nook out before giving it up. I've noticed lots of people carrying two large bags onto the flights, leaving no room for not just me as the last person boarding, but no room for many others who only have one. What happened to the small personal item and one carry on? Doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Made it. Joe had gotten a Suburban and came around to pick up Verlie and me. We loaded up and off we went, making a quick stop at a Quizno's for a quick bite to take in the car. Thank goodness it wasn't a Subway. I don't do them anymore since they support Michael POS Vick of the Fleagle Football Team. I do not care for him … just in case you didn't get that.

An hour or so later we were at James and Elaine's in Port Orange. It's 66 degrees, the windows are all open and we're enjoying a visit with them and Jeff and Sue. It's pRicky, Lucy the two fawn pugs, and Molly, the fox-chi. Fox-chi is a mix of fox terrier and chihuahua. See, we all learned something today. I'm sleeping on the couch and hoping for a dog or two to make me feel at home. We''ll see.


Lucy and Ricky.
Lucy and Molly.
Tomorrow may be my first NASCAR race ever. Let's see how I like that. And tha...tha...tha...
that's all, folks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment