Tuesday, February 7, 2012




Bombay Beach Run, February 2012

February 7, 2012

The trip has begun. But it certainly took a while to get here. I tried to get out of Anchorage, the morning of the 3rd. Didn't happen although I did get through security. Change in planes from large to smaller, so there was no seat for me. But I did get to take one of the Beagles to the vet.

The morning of the 4th, I tried again. I got nailed in security this time. It appears that taking an empty gun clip, without either gun or ammo, is not allowed. The “A” crew caught it. But I made the flight, after taking the Beagle to the vet again. Think we're finally on the right track with her.

Got to Phoenix the morning of the 4th, 10:15 a.m. Friend Verlie was there to pick me up. We have a system. I call her, she tells me which airport door and whether north or south, I go there and she rolls by at a slow 20 while I hop in the car and off we go.

We headed to a Cracker Barrel first since I needed my grilled catfish fix. From there we went to the swap meet and wandered around for a few hours. I needed another bag. Funny thing. I knew I had everything I needed for a motorcycle trip. I did not have everything needed for a trip to Florida. So I had to get a second bag to put all my camera equipment in and then my other bag would be my clothes (some of which I had to go buy since I was nearly totally unprepared) and paraphernalia (also unprepared here) for Florida. Mission accomplished.


Me picking oranges at Verlie and Joe's house.

Lemons from the tree in the yard.  They were huge.




Our harvest of oranges and limes.
Sunday was kind of lazy but we had picked oranges, lemons and tangerines. The tangerine was one of the sweetest I've ever eaten. Had to go out but we saw part of the Super Bowl. Don't much care about football but it was kind of exciting. Verlie made home made chicken soup and we never did eat any of our Super Bowl snacks.
Fresh orange juice from these. 

Left Monday, Feb. 6, and headed to the Peeps, who live in Sun City. They're also long time friends and I was going to spend the night. It was a good way to get re-acquainted with my bike, with a 35 mile shake down run. Of course, let's take a ride after a few months off and get right on a freeway in big city traffic. People were actually very courteous. Of course, my 35 mile ride turned into an 84 mile ride. I went the wrong way and took the 101 all the way around Phoenix, turned the wrong way on every road getting to their house, and rode by their house the first time. And then you wonder how I get all those miles?


A little male hummingbird paused a moment
so I could photograph him.

There were lots of hummingbirds, and the male was particularly gorgeous with iridescent purple feathers. Didn't get any great shots, but it was still fun to try. Dinner with another friend, and then the big day arrived. I was heading to Barstow, Tuesday, Feb. 7, to meet up with Jaz.

A bottlebrush bloom at the Peep's house.




Ken Peep heading out for a bike ride.
It was cold. In the 50s. What's with this? I think this is cold? My electrics didn't work, I hit a small, weak shower 13 miles from Barstow, I was freezing, my feet were blocks of ice, I saw no wildlife, but I got to ride. Life is good.

Jaz showed up and all was well in my world. Let the Bombay Beach Run begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment