Monday, February 20, 2012



Start your engines and head to NASCAR, Feb. 20, 2012

Today my engine got started. I had decided to do a ridealong with one of the NASCAR drivers with the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

Elaine was going to ride, too, and Verlie went with us to take photos. (She'd done the ride before.)

The tram takes you to the infield where we would do the ridealongs.
We got to the track, got on the tram and headed for the infield. Oh yeah, you could hear the cars running around the track, and as we got even closer the whining just got louder and louder.

The infield, where the pits are usually located and the cars are ready for us.

Getting ready to start preparations to ride.
Get your ticket, stand in line. But it wasn't a long one. Then, to the inner piece where we got our jump suits, and suited up. The next piece of equipment was a helmet liner, and then the helmet. Suited up we were getting into the mood and we were ready to ride.

Suiting up.
Nearly ready.

Helmetted up and ready to ride.
Elaine wanted to ride in Number 18, the M&M car that Kyle Busch drives. I wanted to ride the Number 24 car, Jeff Gordon's, because Verlie likes him.  There are two lines formed, and each one goes to one of the cars that's lined up. Usually there were three cars at a time.

When it was our turn, Elaine was first and she got the Number 18. Number 18 is the M&M car. It's bright yellow with lots of other colors, and probably the flashiest car on the track. I really do like the paint scheme although I'm not exactly enthralled with the driver. Elaine was in heaven. It was the one she wanted, and she was looking good.
Elaine and Number 18.

Number 24 and me.
I was in the next group and the Number 24 was the one I was slated for. It's a beautiful candy red with bright green numbers, and the easiest one to spot in a pack on the track. Oh yeah. Off I went heading for my car.

Before getting into the vehicle you are put into a HANS device, which is head and neck support safety equipment.

Dummy! I tried to get in head first. I knew better, and came out again. The track man told me he'd tell me how to get in. I got in properly then, and settled into my shotgun seat. They strapped me into the harness, and attached the helmet so my head wouldn't be flopping around. My driver, Peter, started the engine, put the car into gear, and we were off, flying around the track.

We slowed in the corners, sped up in the straightaways, rode next to the wall, and down toward the center. Slow down, speed up, and we raced around the track. Three laps, and it was over, over way too soon. I was so excited all I could do was sit and enjoy the ride.

On the track.

Driver Peter, Number 24 car, and me.

Elaine and I had a ball, and came out to get out of our gear and head off to where you can review your video.

My video did not turn out, so I was offered a reride. Did I want it? What do you think? Of course!!

This time I got car Number 20, Joey Logano, a beautiful orange vehicle. When I got in, properly the first time, I asked my driver how fast we'd be going. He told me 160 to 165 mph. All I said was, “Faster is better.” And he obliged. Weeeeee. Pure … adrenaline!!!

Getting into Number 20.
I know we went faster than my first ride, and I was in heaven. It was over all too soon, and I was out of the car, out of my helmet and jump suit and back for my video. This was a good one.

Crossing the finish line.

Success.  And then it was over.

Verlie and Elaine at Victory Lane.
Verlie had taken some great photos and Elaine and I were still in the clouds. The rest of our afternoon was mundane, a little shopping and home to the rest of the crew. What an exciting day.

And what were the boys doing?

Napping?  Maybe.  He said he was a safety watch or something while the guys were all building a smoker.
(Photo courtesy of James.)

No comments:

Post a Comment