Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Harley shirts.  I own them, or they own me

How many Harley shirts are too many? I lost count years ago after reaching 400. I have this obsession. I can't pass up a Harley shop without stopping to get a shirt to add to my collection. I have ones I've not yet worn, ones I've worn once and ones I've worn multiple times because they're comfortable or I like the look or color. Black is not my favorite, although it used to be pretty much the only color, or lack of color, you could get. I still pick up a black one now and then because the design on it is so cool, or the contrasting colors look awesome. You've come a long way in motorclothes, Harley-Davidson.

But saying that leads to my problem. I have a closet that is probably 20-feet long or so. There is a long pole for hanging clothes on, and cubbies and shelves at either end. It's a wonderful closet. The shelf across the top of everything is where the Harley shirts live. I have them all labeled: Guy, short sleeve; guy, long sleeve; girl, short sleeve; girl, long sleeve; girl, medium sleeve; tanks and croppies; sweatshirts; hoodies. It's all quite organized. New shirts get hung on the pole until they've been worn and then they are sent to the shelf to one of the appropriate stacks.

However, my T-shirt organization has gone rogue. The other night laying in bed I heard a crack. I thought it was the house settling in the cold. That was not the case. When I got up the next morning and went to get in the closet the doors wouldn't slide. I finally got one of them open and T-shirts came down like an avalanche of snow, landing on me, the floor, the clothes hanging.

The shelf dropped at the front end, and the hooks holding the pole to the wall pulled out.  The nails and screws pulled out of the wall and are visible.  Half of the clothes have been removed from the closet at this point, as well as all the Harley shirts that were on the shelf.
Of course I swore mightly because not only would I have to fix the shelf and get it all nailed back up since it had pulled off the wall, but I would have to reorganize since shirts got mixed up. Now I had tanks and short sleeve guy shirts intermingling, long sleeve girl shirts and long sleeve guy shirts snuggling up to each other. What a mess.

Shirts, pile 1.

There are piles of shirts all over the bedroom, as well as all the other clothes.  There are piles and stacks everywhere.  It looks like a hoarder's maze, with hardly room to get to the dresser or the other side of the bed.  It's a mess.  There's a handyman coming over Wednesday.  He'll fix it right up for me, I'm sure.  I deplore the mess I have right now. 
I have removed most of the shirts now and am in the process of pulling the hanging clothes out. Then begins the project to nail everything back to the wall, and maybe shore it up. Because I will not be getting rid of any shirts, and probably will continue adding to the collection. Do I tell Hobbs, or not? He'll say I told you so. Don't want to hear it.

1 comment: