Sunday, March 18, 2012



St. Patrick's Day, the Wearing of the Green

I've got a claim to this day, mostly from my dad, who was 100 percent pure Irish. Actually I think a lot of it might have been through Irish whiskey, but let's not quibble over the facts. His family had come over from Ireland who knows when since I don't know a whole lot about that side of the family.

But, still, I was born in March and I believe it to be St. Patti's Day, and so off to the House of Harley I went, with cupcakes in hand for the feast being cooked by the Black Sheep, the inspirational side of HOG. I had made chocolate and vanilla ones, with some mint frosting, some white frosting, most decorated with little green sprinkles or green decorator frosting.

I had gone to pick up my friend, Harvey, who had taken a bad fall in February and broken some bones up near the hip. He's still using a walker, but I knew I'd like to see him since it had been a couple of months, and so would everyone else.

The shop was packed. There were brats, green chicken and noodle soup, chips and macaroni salad as well as desserts. Free food is always a big draw at the shop and I think this had to be the biggest Saturday winter gathering. There were lots of people I had never seen before, as well as many I'd not seen in a while, and it's always nice to renew your friendships.

New friend Nina and me at the House of Harley on St. Patrick's Day.
There are also new friendships to be made, and I met a lady named Nina. Nina is deaf, or mostly so, and I believe mute as she was using sign or her phone to text.. She was very nice and we started a converstion. I mentioned I'd just recently purchased a book on American Sign Language as it was something I'd wanted to learn. No reason; just wanted to.

Nina and I exchanged Facebook friend requests, and she taught me my first sign. Hi. Two fingers straight out at a 90-degree angle, then fold all the fingers in except the little one which goes straight up. Hi. I am hoping to learn more with her help, and have looked in my book to pick up a few easy ones, like hello (a salute), goodbye (waving hand), eating (hands to mouth) and drinking (like holding a cup in your hand and drinking).

Purchasing this book of signing must have been an omen.
There was also a group of girls doing Irish dance. What a great exhibition and wonderful entertainment for a special day. They were fun to watch, the music was great, and they are heading off to a national competition, so I wish them the best of luck.

It's always a pleasant way to spend a few hours on a Saturday afternoon, at least until riding season. Then I need to be on the road as shop sitting is a winter-sport.


No comments:

Post a Comment