Wednesday, March 14, 2012



Rhumba, rhumba, zumba. Back at it.

I've been back from vacation for more than a week; came home sicker than a dog. I'm not 100 percent, but it's time to get back to it, zumba. It's an exercise class, with a rhumba, cha cha, hip hop, you-name-it Latin beat. I love it. Why is that? It kicks my butt most days.

But today I headed to the studio, Dance Plus Fitness Studio. It's conveniently located for me off International, in the same strip mall, just down from Guido's and the SPCA, not too far from where I used to work. I'd found this place through a friend of mine, Helen, and had given it a try near the end of 2011.

I couldn't follow the steps, was always a step behind, and always turning the opposite direction of the instructor and everyone else. No matter. I'd kept at it until I could follow the steps most of the time. I still get going the wrong way, though. But it's fun and it seemed to be helping tone me up some.

Sheryl is the owner and one of the instructors.  The instructors are friendly and helpful, and exceptionally tolerant.  I need tolerance since I have two left feet most of the time, and two right feet the rest of the time.  Never one of each at the same time.  But whichever feet show up, I have a great time every time.

However, I'd been on vacation, and then sick, so had not been in about six weeks. My first time back. Oh my. I was wondering where the oxygen was. Why hadn't I brought more water? Why do my shoes hurt my feet? Where's the towel to wipe my sweating brow? OMG!!! I think I've made a huge mistake. The first half-hour is the most difficult. Then it was cool-down time, and I'd made it. I so love this stuff. I'll be back tomorrow.

Me, in the car heading home after having my butt kicked at zumba.  Red-faced, panting, sweating which accounts for wearing a hat, hoping to not catch another cold and relapse.

No comments:

Post a Comment