Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mile 8190, starting mileage

Scarlet O'Harley has 8,190 miles on her.  That will be the starting miles for the WOW 2010 trip, AKA the Maple Surple Run.

There are a few things I've done since the trip to Soldotna last Saturday to get the saddlebags put back on after the paint repair (which was excellently finished by Chris at KPHD, thanks, Chris) and to get the handlebars adjusted so I now have more leverage for corners.  Love them.

Scarlet's name is now official.

I've put two decals on the bike, her name, and an Iron Butt Association one.  It's only fitting, and I think we're done with the finery.

I also have a bandana for friend and fellow rider, Gene, who is fighting cancer.  He rides with the DHD chapter and has held offices with them.  His chapter-mates made bandanas and sold them at the rally as a fundraiser.  With the various things they did at the rally, more than $3,000 were raised for him.  Good job.  Anyhow, the bandana is attached to my bike for the ride.



Bandana for Gene, from Denali Harley-Davidson HOG chapter.
So, everything is coming together.  The players are moving into position for the ride.  I'll just use the road names now as this really is all about a motorcycle trip.

Jaz (Stef) left on a big bird Friday night/Saturday morning.  At 5-something in morning while I was sleeping, I heard a noise ... it was my cellphone with a ring to let me know a text had arrived.  It was Jaz, "landed sfo."  She had made it to San Francisco where her bike is at her mom's.  I texted back, but didn't let her know she'd woke me up .... nice to lay in bed and text.  New concept for me since I don't do that too much ... company phone and they don't like you to do that ...

I have talked to Jaz since and she will also depart on Tuesday and make her way leisurely to Banff, which is our meeting place.

Sunday I hit the street early, about 9:30 a.m.  Wanted to find a particular kind of sock like ones I'd found in Seward.  Couldn't find them.  Carr's, Costco, decal place, sandals, can't remember everything, but got home about 1:30.  Hobbs and I rode the old bikes to the Father's Day car and bike show.  It was beautiful, and enjoyed it a lot ... classic music, classic cars, visits with people we know.  All on a day that turned gorgeous.  Was very enjoyable.  Then we went and had a good meal at Lone Star.  They must be one of the most consistent restaurants in town.  I've never had bad food there. 

 Then Rebecca (AKA Roadrunner) came over and she helped me bake chocolate chip cookies, which I'd promised to do before leaving.  Then the three of us hopped on the bikes (Roadrunner on Biker Bill's old '76, me on the '84, and Biker Bill on the 2010), and putted down to the Tastee Freeze for an ice cream. 

Biker Bill has a good heart ... we'd come through construction at Jewel Lake and Strawberry.  So he got a couple of ice cream sundaes from the Tastee Freeze to take back to the workers.  It was appreciated as it was quite warm.  Good deeds from the heart are always the best kind.


Roadrunner and me at the Tastee Freeze parking lot.

So, now it's time to finish getting ready.  I've got the bike half-loaded, but still need to finish loading clothes, paperwork and snacks.  I'm not in too much of a hurry since I woke up at about 5 a.m. to the sound of pouring rain.  Aagghhh. It's since quit, and is starting to dry out, so guess it's time to get my queenly butt in gear.

Just wanted to get something out so people don't think the trip ended before it started ... lol.  I plan to be in Beaver Creek tonight, just across the Alaska/Canada border.  Don't know if there will be Internet access, so you'll have to track me with the Spot tracker to find out if I make it.

Signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment