Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The queen ready to  travel
I'm off, although late.  I didn't get out until 10:34 this morning.  Waiting out the rain a bit, didn't have to meet anyone since no one is riding with me, I'm on a retirement schedule ... practicing.  I just didn't get enough done last night.  Ken Peep came to town and we went to dinner.  We went to my new favorite place, Yummy, in the little strip mall at Arctic and International.  I tried something different, and it was so ono ... good.  There are flavors that she (Shawn, although don't know the spelling of her name) puts in her food that makes them oh so flavorful.  Try it.  Thai, Hawaiian, Vietnamese.

Had a moose run in front of me a couple cars ahead on the Palmer Flats, not close.  But I could see him.  That was okay.  High ceiling ... maybe a sprinkle, and I could always see the sucker hole ... a patch of blue sky.  Would be great not to have to spend tons of time riding in rain.

Topped off in Palmer, made a pit stop, and headed to Glenallen.  I hit some showers, but avoided the big rains.  There are some things, though, that always make me feel good on these rides.  Around Kings River there are always campers and you can smell the campfire smoke.

At Mile 160 there's a kind of lighthouse type of building, with a parking lot.  I always remember Birdie's (Julie) flat tire, and how we flagged down a family with a big boy toy hauler and they hauled it in for us to Wasilla.

I'm always amazed by how folks drive; some have to speed up if you try to pass, one today oncoming in my lane.  There is no lack of poor judgement on these people's part.  Of course, you know I never make a bad pass.  Actually, I had one today ... not close, but should have waited.

It's been pleasant, just cruising mostly at 60 mph looking around. 

Didn't make it to Beaver Creek.  Decided to just do Tok ... I like the hotels better and it's only 90 miles to the border anyway.  Tomorrow is another day.

Met a couple of guys while I was gassing up ... one Canadian and one from Minnesota.  The Canadian was innovative and I've now seen another use for duct tape ... lowers to help keep the rain off.


Another fancy and practical use for duct tape
The other guy, the one from Minnesota, saw the Iron Butt sticker on my back fender.  So, what do you think he asked me???  Am I a member and done an Iron Butt?  Good grief!!!  No, I just steal stickers from people and put them on my bike.  Here's your sign.  Actually I was quite pleasant and told him, yes, I was and have, the 1,000 and the 1,500.  Then he seemed to be impressed.  Strange ... but I guess there are folks who will claim to do things they haven't.  Not me.  I want to experience things.  But he did notice the Scarlet O'Harley decal, and they both said she was a smoking hot-looking bike.  And here I didn't believe Roadrunner all this time.

So I'm eating at Fast Eddy's, but staying at Golden Bear where we usually do since I know someone who is related to them.  They're always nice.  But Fast Eddy's has wi-fi, and I can use it while I'm eating.  Yay!!!

So some of my peeps just came in and are sitting at another table.  Do I want to talk to them?  Nah.  Don't feel like being friendly, unless they talk first.  We'll see.

Beautiful here now, hope the weather holds. 

I see I have a new follower.  Welcome, Jan, my good friend from Montana.  I'll be seeing you soon.

2 comments:

  1. I told you we have the two smoking hottest bikes in AK now you have proof... again! Just don't forget you have arrest me red! Call me if you need bail money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Queen Peppermint~

    I have really enjoyed following your blog!! And it is exciting to track you on your trip!! I tracked you all day yesterday to see if you were making it to Beaver Creek or not.....Tazman (Jim) has been thinking about purchasing a Spot for flying....I completely bragged about how neat it was to him last night!

    Peppermint.......You are truly an inspiration to me and always have been! I love and admire your tenacity!! I consider you a "role model" for Women on Wheels...you are complete encouragement to all of us women who ride!! You are truly a special gift to me and everyone else that has the pleasure of having you touch their lives!!
    YOU GO GIRL!!! RIDE ON!! **Gloves (Sabrina)**

    ReplyDelete