Thursday, July 14, 2011

Monday, July 11



We left between 8:30 and 9 this morning. Daisy cooked breakfast for us so we'd not be riding on an empty stomach. What a nice girl she is.


The ride today was Highway 95. It was beautiful. We crossed the Weiser River several times and followed the Little Salmon and Salmon rivers for miles. They're beautiful, with water falls, dams, large rocks and rushing water. It was just very pleasant, and I'd do this road again for sure. It's mostly two-lane, which is always a plus, and runs through a lot of small towns, which I also like. You get to see some of what makes a state so great.


Then we rode by something that I had to do a U-turn to take a photo of ... a bed and breakfast, but it's a little building in the shape of a Beagle, with a Beagle pup. It's the neatest building, and I could not pass it up. It was near Grangerville. I wonder if they give you a Beagle to snuggle with for your night's stay. If I ever get back that way again I have to try to stay there. I wonder if I could somehow get back there. Maybe not this year. Decisions, decisions.


We pretty much just rode and arrived in Post Falls about 5 or so. We stayed at a friend of Birdie's, Cindy, that she used to work with. Cindy just got down here two weeks ago, moved from Alaska as three of her kids live in the area. The fourth still lives in Alaska and will probably move here in a year. Beautiful home, and wonderful hospitality. We have such great friends.


Unbelievably, saw a dead moose along the highway. Also saw some elk in a pen, so don't know if they raise them for meat or what. I also saw on a sign today, elk tacos. Would have liked to have tried them. Gotta ride, gotta ride.


So, when a truck with hay comes along in the opposing lane do you hold your breath for a moment until it passes and then take a deep breath just so you can smell it, the sweetness of it? I do. I love that smell. And the smell of cut grass, and so many other things that you smell while riding. That's one of the joys of riding ... and one of the not so joyful things too ... dead skunks and other things, hot tires and brakes ... but you're in ride, not just observing objects as they pass by you.

Called Jan in Montana. She wants to take Wednesday off to spend with me, so I'll probably be there Tuesday and Wednesday nights. No Internet there either.

So, all for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment