Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saturday, July 16



Up and at 'em, but not so early. I left Limon about 9 a.m., heading to Wichita to meet Slider. She made the hotel arrangements in Wichita. I knew it would be hard for me to find it, being directionally-challenged and all. When I stopped for gas, I couldn't just gas, visit the rest room and go. I had to stay to cool down and drink water, and re-hydrate my vest. At one point the thermometer said 110 degrees; a few hours later it said 109. Yep, I sure could tell the difference.

I followed Highways 54/400. There's not much there. It's mostly very, very flat, and not even a lot of vegetation. Pretty boring. So why am I riding across flatland that is hotter than hell? I don't really know, except I really wanted to see Slider since I didn't get to see her last year.


I did stop at the Dodge City stop and they had a cooler with ice in the back that they said I could hydrate my vest and neck snakes. I was even putting it on my throat and down my shirt ... felt so good, for such a short period of time, though.


On the highway about 35 miles east of Dodge City, there's a long fence line that has all these metal sculptures on it. It's kind of like the sign farm at Watson Lake, but not nearly as large ... yet.

I took a photo of this sculpture because  of my boy Beagle Tuffy.


The whole fence and the sculptures are fascinating to see.  I'd have liked to spend more time, but didn't have it, and it  was just toooooo darned hot to be out in in standing or walking around.  It was bad enough to be riding in it.

Finally arrived about 7:30 at the hotel, after stopping at one to get directions. It was so good to see Slider. She'd had a blowout on her way up I-35, in Oklahoma. She showed me the tire and I had to say she was very lucky she wasn't killed as it was the right front tire that blew.


We went and grabbed a bite to eat, then ice cream for dessert, and to bed now since we both had a long, hard day. It's till 91 degrees. HOT!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to see that temperatures in my home state of Kansas are almost as hot (and in a few instances hotter) than those in my adopted state of Arizona.

    Enjoying riding along with you, virtually speaking!

    ReplyDelete