Wednesday, July 20, 2011


Tuesday, July 19


I woke up to a beautiful day, packed up my pony and hit the road. Today's journey would take me to Colorado Springs, to see a friend who used to live in Alaska, Jenny, one of Hobbs' daughters, and possibly Richard from New York.


The weather was perfect riding, just right for a long-sleeved shirt and my vest. It wasn't too hot and I was hoping it would stay that way.


I followed I-70 and then took Highway 24, which went to Peyton, where Donna and Mike Luther live. When I'd talked to her she wanted me to stop by but I didn't think it would work. Actually it did since they live only a couple miles at most off the highway. So stopped by the house and visited with her, the daughter in law and grandkids for a little while. Then she led me to the Harley shop in Colorado Springs. I'd called Jenny and she was going to meet me there, which was wonderful since I'd not seen her in a long time.

Donna and me at the Colorado Springs Harley shop,.

Got my required shirt, chips and pin, and Jenny showed up ... so we went upstairs where there is a lounge for biker trash, and we sat and chatted for an hour or better. Then it was time to say good bye as I was heading down I-25 to somewhere. It was great to see them and have such a wonderful visit. Jenny looked really nice and I marveled at where the time has gone since she was in Alaska. She's so grown up now. Where oh where did the time slip away from us?
Jenny and me.

On down the road I got to Pueblo which is were my friend Verlie's mom lives, or so I thought. I was asking around as to where her address was, but no one knew. I called Verlie and she told me her mom lives in Trinidad, about an hour and a half away. So this time I didn't even get in the right town. I had to call her mom back and say I'd be late, that I'd be taking her to dinner instead of lunch. I told Verlie not to tell husband Joe. But she said it was too good not to. Once again, there's a reason I don't lead rides.


Trinidad was about 90 miles or so down I-25 and I got there and found Virginia's house. She had me drive her car and we went to a Mexican restaurant called Tequila's. I had my usual ... a chile relleno and a cheese enchilada. It was good, but they had something I'd not had before that the waiter called Mexican cole slaw. They serve it in a little bowl like salsa and I put it on chips. I think it had jalapenos in it, too, and it was soooo good. I ate nearly all of it. Got Virginia back to her house, and then packed up and left, heading south again on I-25.


I stayed on the main road since I knew I'd be riding in the dark and figured I was safer on a main road with more traffic. It was after 9 when I pulled in to Las Vegas, New Mexico, and found a room. Made all my calls to let Hobbs and Verlie know I was okay. Tried to reach the Pieps because I have nearly 700 miles to get to their place and know I can't do that tomorrow, so it will be Thursday before I get there. So I'll go through the mountains which will probably be a little bit longer, but way cooler, and I definately need that. The heat this trip has been eating my lunch so I need to stay in the cool parts as long as I can.


Night riding is not my forte' but it has its beauty, plus it was so pleasant traveling in the cooler weather. But I saw deer, and I'm deathly afraid of hitting something. Is that because I'm used to daylight all the time? I don't know. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment