Thursday, July 28, 2011



Tuesday and Wednesday, July 26 and July 27



It's airport day. I'm sitting waiting.


Verlie dropped me off at the airport on her way to work. Found out my original flight was cancelled and those folks were pushed to the next one, which could present a problem for me getting on a flight until later. Lesson learned – call Hobbs before leaving for the airport to see how the load is or if one has been cancelled and I should wait another day.

I talked to him and it looks like I'll get on one today, although it may be the one this afternoon, rather than the morning and early afternoon one. That's okay. The price is right and I'm grateful to be able to fly on his passes. Being retired, it really doesn't present that much of a problem. If I had to get back to work, I'd have to call and let them know I might be off an additional day. Been there, done that. I did not get that T-shirt, though. The color was purple and I elected to pass on it.

Well, lots going on with flights. The first one at 11:30 left, without me. The one for 12:42 p.m. has been delayed, waiting for a flight crew that is hung up somewhere in flight, and not due in here until 2:30 or so. I'm still okay. Ate a sandwich and a piece of cake. Now I'm re-charging my phone battery since it's at half, and found a plug for my computer, too, so I can get everything recharged. I've not even gotten my NookColor book out yet. I'm just busy e-mailing, Facebooking, looking around, talking to people.


With the current flight delayed, people are bailing right and left, looking for other connections through other cities. If enough of them bail, I may get on this flight after all. It wasn't looking good since it had also been overbooked and they're trying to get everyone from that original Minneapolis flight on other flights.

Sat browsing photos.  Love to take photos of beautiful flowers.
I may finish off that Starbucks giftcard today, too. Been there twice so far. Originally for coffee, then the sandwich and cake. Still got enough for another coffee or two.


Otherwise, Hobbs feels bad because I can't get on a flight. Again, I say, I'm grateful to fly on passes and know the risks. If I had to get on a flight, I could use Alaska Airline miles since I have enough for a ticket or two. Plus I learned a few lessons today. The first one I told you about. The second was to check on the alternate routes right away after missing a flight. There was another one through Salt Lake City I might have gotten on if I'd been thinking sooner and called my travel agent ... Hobbs ... soon enough so he could get me listed. Next time.


Right now my best option is to wait for the Minny flight and hopefully make a connection that gets me home this evening. If it doesn't work, then I'll call Verlie and she'll come back and get me and we'll spend another evening together before starting over again tomorrow. All the options are good ones. However, by 5 p.m. I might be getting tired, and feel differently. Who knows. Nah, I'm sure I'll get out today. I usually do although I'm certainly not a pro at this standby flying.


But it is interesting and kind of cool because Hobbs can check the flights while I talk to him on my cellphone, and list me as we talk. He also knows if I make a flight, and even what seat I'm in. How cool is that? So, in addition to having Spot (who is not on for this type of travel), I'm not out of sight very often. It's good to know someone knows where I am nearly all the time.


I made the flight from Phoenix that finally got out at about 3:30 p.m. or so. Then I rushed thinking I had an 8-something out of Minneapolis to Anchorage. Couldn't find it. The ticket agent told me which gate and I got there as quickly as I could, finding out the 8-something was gone, but there was another one at 9:45. I made that one.


Finally got home about 12:30 a.m. Got to sleep, but not for long. An old friend was visiting and he, Jerry Henke, and Hobbs had set up an early breakfast. Of course I wanted to go see Henke because I'd not seen him for a long time. He and his wife now have a place in southern Arizona. Was great to see him at Jackie's Place off Spenard.

Hobbs, Henke and me at Jackie's Place.  Good grub.


After that there was a retirement potluck at Chugach, so I picked up a few things to take over there. The potluck was great and saw some friends. From there I visited my former co-workers, and a few others, and finally got out of there about 3:30 p.m. You'd think I was still there taking up space or something. But it's always so nice to see folks. I do miss a great many of them.


Went on the Harley Owners Group Wednesday night ride. A couple of the guys who left early went down, one hitting the other after a car apparently stopped quickly in front of them. It appeared things looked bad, but they'd be okay. Bikes??? Hard to say. Pretty beat up. Just glad the guys will be okay. I stayed on the phone with Daisy Corn, the girlfriend of one of them. Let her know what was happening, what injuries looked like from afar, and where they were taking them so she could get to the hospital.


I found out later that they both had broken ribs, scrapes and bruises, and one of them also had a punctured lung, and they'll be in the hospital for a day or two. But all appears well. Thank you, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment